Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 4-Year old water ...startup?

1. Back To Top    #1

4-Year old water ...startup?

I purchased the TK-100 kit 4-years ago and have been very pleased! My pool has remained crystal clear using the Trouble Free Pool philosophies. I live in winter climates (Wisconsin) so I drain down about 2-ft each year to get below jets and winterize. In spring, I fill from hose back up to level. That said, my water is getting about 4-years old now… wondering if I need to test for anything else? I have “well-water” so do I need to be aware of anything that might be creeping up slowly? I do have some iron in my water (I treat that with my water softener-inside house) but have not seen any signs of that in my pool, not sure if I test for that or not…since my pool has been over the years in perfect/near perfect balance. I usually test my pool every other day so I catch stuff early before stuff gets outta whack. When kids are using constantly and air temps are soaring over 90 I check daily.

I use the Pentair Clean and Clear plus 420 Cartridge Filter system if that's of any relevance and my pool is a (inground) chlorine water pool. Roughly 30,000 gallons. All my equipment is Pentair - zero issues.

Thanks for any input!
    • 29,700gal. (18x40, avg depth 5.5'), Cartridge Filter (Pentair Clean & Clear CCP420)
    • IG, Vinyl, 1 HP Pump (Pentair SuperFlo High Performance), Pentair Master Temp 250
    Blink
    brett@blinkvisuals.com

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 4-Year old water ...startup?

I'm in WI, on well water too.
    Most important is your CYA. When you fill your pool are you taking water that's gone through the softener or is the spigot outside bypassed from the softener like most are ??
    If you're taking water for the pool after the softener you will get a little salt in the pool but the amount isn't a problem. Some people with chlorine pools add salt, it's a personal thing.
    If you have any issue with staining you might want to have the iron tested but if you don't have staining I'd just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy your pool (as soon as it thaws out).
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The only reason to replace water is if you are having a problem with high CH or high CYA or very high Salt levels. Depending on local conditions you may never have a problem, or something might get too high occasionally.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

that sounds like a pretty good testament to TFP care if you ask me! 4 yrs and no problems .... awesome!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you still using the original TF-100 reagents? If so, I would recommend replacing them. The refill kits are on sale for another few days from tftestkits.net
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what jblizzle said. Four years is just too long for the reagents to be dependable. Naturally, I have a financial agenda, but I would replace ALL of them, esp while the complete kit is on sale.

Iron is the most common issue with well water but you are solving that nicely with the softener. Like others have said, you are doing a nice job managing your water
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the input! Just wanted to double check here with all you gurus to make sure I was not overlooking something. Good point to replace my reagents! My filling is from the spicket with no softening but to date really has not mattered. My iron is minimal here. I watch CYA closely...I learned the hard way in the beginning using those crappy pucks...yikes! It took a while to get out all the **** the local pool store was selling me. Never looked back... thanks to all of you and this site!! Cheer’s to another swim season... loud music, fun friends, good drinks and most of all great memories Thanks everyone!
    • 29,700gal. (18x40, avg depth 5.5'), Cartridge Filter (Pentair Clean & Clear CCP420)
    • IG, Vinyl, 1 HP Pump (Pentair SuperFlo High Performance), Pentair Master Temp 250
    Blink
    brett@blinkvisuals.com