Switching to SWG

Sep 17, 2014
Atoka, TN
After two summers of using the Permasalt system, I'm ready to switch over to using a SWG. While the water with Permasalt was easy to maintain (replace the chamber every year, add salt), there just wasn't enough FC in the water for my liking.....especially with our son getting ready to start using it this year. I've read a ton on the site and know more or less what I want buy, but I'm curious if I need any other equipment other than what I have. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also, how often should I replace the sand in my SwimPro filter? Might still be the original sand (6+ years old) for all I know. I see there are also a few different filter sand alternatives as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
you dont need any more equipment. It looks like what you have is fine, and I think you'll be happy with a SWG system.

You really dont have to replace the sand in a sand filter if you dont want to. Its a myth that sand wears out. Of course the pool stores like you to think that happens to they can sell you a lot more of it. Sand is already millions of years old when it is put in the filter, so if it was gonna wear out, it would already be wore out.

Cant remember the last time I was as the beach and saw any wore out sand! hahaha! (I didnt make that up, I read it somewhere!).

enough funnyness though. If you simply deep clean the sand, it will be good as new. I think a deep cleaning every 3 or 4 years might be applicable. Really though, each situation and pool will vary.

Here is how to deep clean your sand, and there is even a video.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

Of course, if you prefer to replace the sand, then that's fine too. But its a real pain to get all that sand outta there! A shop vac is the best tool for getting the sand out.

Hope this helps!

After two summers of using the Permasalt system, I'm ready to switch over to using a SWG. While the water with Permasalt was easy to maintain (replace the chamber every year, add salt), there just wasn't enough FC in the water for my liking.....especially with our son getting ready to start using it this year. I've read a ton on the site and know more or less what I want buy, but I'm curious if I need any other equipment other than what I have. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also, how often should I replace the sand in my SwimPro filter? Might still be the original sand (6+ years old) for all I know. I see there are also a few different filter sand alternatives as well.

Thanks in advance.

Don't do much with sand filters but I have seen sand clump up and get like cement. Then you need to change it. You can tell by getting your hand in there and feeling it. I have worked a lot with Jandy Salt systems. The new FSOFT1400 cell system is the way to go other than the older PLC1400. The cells are easier to clean and less expensive to replace.

Don't do much with sand filters but I have seen sand clump up and get like cement. Then you need to change it. You can tell by getting your hand in there and feeling it. I have worked a lot with Jandy Salt systems. The new FSOFT1400 cell system is the way to go other than the older PLC1400. The cells are easier to clean and less expensive to replace.
It sounds like that's a situation where CH got out of control, and scaling happened in the filter. That would be one of the few situations where a sand change would be required.

In general, our recommendation is that sand very rarely needs to be replaced. In most instances, deep cleaning will suffice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.