Friends Pool

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I'm helping my friends with their new to them pool. I gave them a TF-100 test kit for a housewarming present, and went over today to start teaching them how to test.

The pool is vinyl, aprox 20 years old but the liner is 1 year old with mild staining to stairs, has one skimmer, no main drains. Sand filter and pump appear to be functioning well although not new. The previous owner used some sanitizing system called Caribbean Clear but when my friends took over the house they told the owners they were going to go chlorine/eventually SWG so the previous owner disconnected it (and left some odd looking part just hanging on wall)

My first tests: pH 8.2 (or higher?)
FC 0
CC 0
CH 200 (if I recall?)
TA 150
CYA 0

We added 32 ounces muriatic acid (slight overshoot as we are working on pool volume estimate still) which brought pH down to 7.2, and we added 121 ounces of 8.25 bleach which gave us 5.5 FC. Ive also got a sock full of CYA hanging from the diving board, and will be adding more as the sock empties and it is retested. We bought a new thermometer and tossed it in (cold!) and I've told the new owners to get some Vit C tabs to test the stains on the stairs. I'm going to also have them pick up a cheap fountain to aerate so we can deal with the TA in time. The water looked fine when I arrived, but the owners both said it appeared better just with the addition of the MA and bleach. yay!:)

Is there anything else I need to be aware of considering the pool used this strange Caribbean Breeze device?

SORRY!! I edited the name to correct- the correct name of sanitizer system was "Caribbean Clear"

Looks like you are moving in the right direction. I did the same for a friend - gave them a TF-100. They were apuck/shock family and had a great year last year with bleach.

Never heard of the "Caribbean Breeze" and a Google search didn't bring anything up.

Are they going to lug jugs or are you going to move them to a SWCG?

They had a pool guy quote them $2000 to install a SWCG so they figured they couldn't afford it this year since they just bought this new to them house. One of their fathers is a plumber or electrician so I think he might be able to help them do it DIY for the cost of the device.

Until then, they're going to be lugging jugs :bounce:

AAACK!! I had the name wrong in the original post (since edited to correct) Sorry!!
The system in the pool was called Caribbean Clear. Does anyone know anything about this??

Apparently it is a copper/silver sanitizer. From reading TFP, I recall that copper or silver can make the water turn clear green when chlorine is added, and lucky for us that did not happen....yet? But do we need to test for these metals? Will they be in the water or just in the sanitizer device?

It is probably a Caribbean Clear Ionizing system that uses copper and silver and requires 0.4 residual chlorine. You can only get them from authorized dealers so I'm sure the previous owners decided they would keep it if the new owner was going to throw it away. The limited dealer distribution model probably made it very expensive. You need to test friend's pool for copper in case it needs a sequestrant to prevent further staining.

EDIT: I type too slow!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I tried to figure out this pool's hardware today. I'm not sure but it appears to have a squat sand filter, two pumps (one with some longish looking square cover) and I noticed that the gauge was kaput. I attempted a quick backwash to see if the multi valve was working and the spy glass showed me dirty water. I didn't backwash for more than a minute as I wasn't sure where the water emptied out to but the pipe is run through a stucco wall out towards the front yard.
Today's tests:
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
TA 150
pH 7.5
CYA still in the sock melting.. am striving for about 40 CYA
CH not tested since vinyl liner pool.

Can one of y'all experts help me decipher the equipment here, please? I'm a little confused what type of filter this is? And there are two pumps, one with a flat box on top of one. I'm assuming one of the pumps is for the small statuary fountain near by, but its drained and lifeless at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.