EcoStar with Jandy RS4 Questions

Mar 15, 2015
Lewisville
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have some questions some of you may have experience with.

I have a EcoStar 3400 with an older RS4. I put the pump in last year since my other one died. I was planning on replacing the RS4 with a system that could communicate with the Estar better this spring, but when I sat down to read the manual, I read up on Relay Mode and thought I would give it a try.

Here are the questions I have regarding this setup.

1. the inputs into the pump call for 24VAC, but the only 24VAC outputs go to the JandyValves. Do the 24VDC on each relay work as acceptable outputs?
2. Is it possible to have the pump on, but running 0 RPM with relay mode?
3. How long between a switch of command should the delay be between pump speed changes?
4. Is there a problem with wiring 2 relays to the same input (ie the pump on and the cleaner on command both go to input 3 to create a 3000 RPM command for instance)?

What I have thought of doing is to bypass the main pump relay and have the pump be powered but not running, and then using the RS4 inside to control all the various speeds. The timer function still appears to work just fine, and I would like to use that to continue to operate the timers I had setup.

Appreciate the insight!

Jeff

1) The pump supplies power for the external relay control. See the wiring diagram in section 5.4 of the EcoStar manual.
2) Yes, but. One relay to control run/stop (input 4 on the pump), and separate relay(s) to control the speed.
3) Starting from stopped can take a little while to prime properly. Otherwise it will be very quick to change speeds.
4) No problem.

Thanks!

That was the mental roadblock I was having to overcome. I kept thinking it was using the relay control as a signal, not that the relay controlled the voltage signal itself.

That makes a lot more sense now!

Now I've just got to figure out how to re-wire all of the other stuff, boost pump and heater, and still control speed. Should be a cake walk now!

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks! Kiss4afrog!

I think my wife is a member here, but I'm not sure. I handle the mechanical side, she handles the chemical and cleaning side of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.