Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor and housing issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Apple Valley/CA

Motor and housing issues

I have a whisperflo 2 HP motor with a hum at start up (either capacitor or bearings). I pulled the assembly and put it on the work bench in the garage and found other issues. My question is, how screwed am I? .

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Motor and housing issues

A hum could just the the capacitor. The rust could be from a shaft seal leak. If you were to replace the cap and the seal, all might be fine for awhile.

Why do you need such a large pump?
    Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

One path forward could be to replace just the motor. If you do, I would recommend a 2-speed version to say yourself some money on electricity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Motor and housing issues

Welcome to the forum 21DJG3

The hum does sound like something the start cap would cause if it's going/gone.

Screwed would be if it's so badly rusted it can't be taken apart without breaking stuff.

The rust you are seeing could be the seal or could be condensation depending on the age of the pump. Is the pump protected from the weather with an enclosure or ....
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!