Coping stone selection....does it matter

PL289

Mar 15, 2015
DFW TX
Just joined, but have been a watcher for a while as we move closer to our first pool. First, thanks for this site, it's made me think...ALOT.

This may be a question more for contractors (and will be for mine). I'm open to any answers, especially from people who have been in my position.

All things being equal, coping seems to be a make or break factor for many folks and material selection seems to be discussed as a major issue by many who have quality concerns after the fact. I have done a fair amount of research on coping materials and specifically geology, porosity, ease of working, and hardness of materials. Everyone here in North Texas seems to use local regionally available stone. The problem is, it seems to flake off or otherwise pit soon (within 18 mos) after construction, even when properly sealed. I have seen this time and again with friends pools in both salt and non-salt pool installs. My own research has landed me on Rocky Mountain Quartzite (from Northern Stone) for it's look AND more so it durability.

My questions are:

Should my builder have a problem with me specifying this material?

Does anyone have it around their pool and how do you like it?

I know of only one supplier in Tx (near San antonio) that provides this product from its quarry in Idaho, should I reach out directly and do my own homework on costs and transport logistics?

Thanks in advance for your responses and feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything on this consideration.

I don't know much about quartz but I think it's close to blue stone as far as density. I'm doing a blue stone coping on my pool just waiting on this snow to melt so we can templet for coping. Good luck in your choice

I would contact the source that you identified (San Antonio or directly to the quarry in Idaho) for this specific stone and research options for transportation to your job site. Ask your local pool bidders to price the stone if they can obtain a source, as they may surprise you with other suppliers. If any of the bidders can't match this stone, ask for the next closest material. Once the bids are in, you can compare. If the PB you select is unable to supply this specific stone or an alternative that you like, you have the research and know the costs, so progress can still move forward, but you may be purchasing the stone yourself and have the masons from the PB team perform the install.

If my stone coping shows significant failures in future years, I'll replace at some point with a manufactured material.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.