Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping stone selection....does it matter

1. Back To Top    #1

DFW TX

Coping stone selection....does it matter

Just joined, but have been a watcher for a while as we move closer to our first pool. First, thanks for this site, it's made me think...ALOT.

This may be a question more for contractors (and will be for mine). I'm open to any answers, especially from people who have been in my position.

All things being equal, coping seems to be a make or break factor for many folks and material selection seems to be discussed as a major issue by many who have quality concerns after the fact. I have done a fair amount of research on coping materials and specifically geology, porosity, ease of working, and hardness of materials. Everyone here in North Texas seems to use local regionally available stone. The problem is, it seems to flake off or otherwise pit soon (within 18 mos) after construction, even when properly sealed. I have seen this time and again with friends pools in both salt and non-salt pool installs. My own research has landed me on Rocky Mountain Quartzite (from Northern Stone) for it's look AND more so it durability.

My questions are:

Should my builder have a problem with me specifying this material?

Does anyone have it around their pool and how do you like it?

I know of only one supplier in Tx (near San antonio) that provides this product from its quarry in Idaho, should I reach out directly and do my own homework on costs and transport logistics?

Thanks in advance for your responses and feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything on this consideration.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Coping stone selection....does it matter

Welcome to the forum PL289
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know much about quartz but I think it's close to blue stone as far as density. I'm doing a blue stone coping on my pool just waiting on this snow to melt so we can templet for coping. Good luck in your choice
    34x48 40,000 gal mt lake concrete wall vinyl lined pool,gli 28 mil blk granite liner w/sure-step, pentair easy touch 8 w/screen logic,pentair fnsp 48 filter,2 pentair intellichlor vs pumps, pentair intellichlor ic60, 3 pentair led intellibrate 5g lights, 4 pentair magic stream Laminars, 12 ton moss rock waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

We pour concrete 18 inches wide around the pool then saw cut every 2 ft.
    25,000 gallons - sand - IG vinyl - 1.5 pump - 50 filter - installed June 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

I would contact the source that you identified (San Antonio or directly to the quarry in Idaho) for this specific stone and research options for transportation to your job site. Ask your local pool bidders to price the stone if they can obtain a source, as they may surprise you with other suppliers. If any of the bidders can't match this stone, ask for the next closest material. Once the bids are in, you can compare. If the PB you select is unable to supply this specific stone or an alternative that you like, you have the research and know the costs, so progress can still move forward, but you may be purchasing the stone yourself and have the masons from the PB team perform the install.

If my stone coping shows significant failures in future years, I'll replace at some point with a manufactured material.

6. Back To Top    #6

What did you end up doing PL289? I am debating this myself.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100