Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Garden hose filter for adding water to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Garden hose filter for adding water to pool?

Does anyone know of a good garden house water filter that actually reduces TDS(total disolved solids?).

This may be a mute point, in the process of testing the snow and rain for TDS, If they have a high TDS no point in a filter.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Garden hose filter for adding water to pool?

No filter will mechanically reduce TDS.

After 200+ posts, I am surprised that you want to even test.......they are irrelevant to what we teach.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you were located out west there are companies that do reverse osmosis on pools as it's cost effective compared to the cost of water out there and restrictions on pools. MI ... don't think anyone does it.
    http://poolservicestech.com/tag/reverse-osmosis/
    There are hose end filters but their effiency is hotly debated as some are compared to putting a clean white sock on the end of your hose doing the same thing
    I use a PreFresh filter for my Spa: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Fresh-Gard.../dp/B00AXP8B9O
    Hot Springs sells a nice filter but I'm not sure it's seventy dollars nice.
    http://www.shopthepoolandspacenter.c...FdCmaQodqBQA_g

What is your TDS level, who and how did they measure it and why are you concerned about it ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I,m picky, i have very slight iron staining, can only really see it if its cloudy or sun setting.

I use a sponge mop with little slots cut out and put vitamin c drops in, Last about 2 months.

Also use a culator packet.

Has been improving and lessoning each season.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Smooth2222!

I had the same issue with my last pool (well, fill water) and came up with this - which was very effective.

Good luck!

http://www.bohowillow.com/2013/09/a-...water.html?m=1

6. Back To Top    #6

Many kinds of filters can filter out iron particulates, but hardly any will filter out dissolved iron, and the ones that do aren't really very good at it. If you have an iron particulate problem, it is certainly worth using a filter. But if your problem is mostly dissolved iron there is little you can do that is cost effective.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Snow, and rain will have extremely little to no TDS because it is condensed water. Once rain water hits the ground or anything else, it picks things up that will add to the conductivity of the water...which is how TDS is measured. TDS in and of itself is irrelevant to pool chemistry. The number alone doesn't tell you what you need to know, only that there are some dissolved solids in there. It could be all salt or any combination of other dissolved minerals. No hose end filter is going to reduce these minerals.

As a rule, RO treatment is difficult to locate, and very expensive. Usually quite a great deal more so than fill water.

That bohowillow link showing a filter for Iron removal will not remove dissolved iron that can cause iron staining. Removing all the Iron from water that will cause pool staining has do be done through some kind of reaction, even if it is just Ion exchange such as in a softener.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem