Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting a new pump. Should i get a SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting a new pump. Should i get a SWG?

I have been a lurker for quite a while. Im sure some people hear might recognize the story or whatever but here we go

So i have a TF-100, been testing the pool and all that, pool is doing good, but my pump has a bad leak so we are getting a new one. Hopefully a VS pump. Its my parents buying it, im only 16(but im in charge of the pool stuff) they told me to convince them why we should get a SWG(because i told them we should buy one) is it really worth it? they are quite convinced that all they do is cause trouble but i believe i could manage it just fine.

Also. whats a good not to expensive VS pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting a new pump. Should i get a SWG?

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you have a leaking shaft seal ... you could just replace the seal ... or a better option would be to replace just the motor with a 2-speed version. What is your electrical cost? A VS pump may not make $ sense ... and in FL, you should certainly have surge protection on your VS pump power supply.

If you want a VS pump, I would look at the smaller VS pump ... like the Maxflo VS or Superflo VS.

A SWG is about convenience ... they do not often result in money savings after you take into account cell replacements every 3-5 years.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a screenshot of the pump, As you can see we have tried repairing it before. the pump is also about 17 years old also http://i.imgur.com/sREd9sC.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a SWCG and like it because it's more convenient than purchasing and adding chlorine manually. It also let's me be away for days at a time without worrying too much about the pool. If I had one of my children taking care of the pool who understood what they were doing and who could drive to the store to purchase chlorine I wouldn't bother with the SWCG. Sorry.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Tristan
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!