I've only been here long enough to know to post a complete set of test results proactively - and they are below.
However, because this question seems to be more of a mechanical issue, I put them at the end.
I am opening my pool for the year and noted that the DE filter was posting 25PSI readings, so I stopped my SLAM and figured I needed to clean the filter. I did that last year and it worked great, so I was surprised that it needed it again so soon, but that's life right. Rinsed the filter and even before I added the DE back, it ran up to 25PSI again.
Figured I had calcified the filter what with all the water hardness we have around here - so I did the soap soak and then acid soak of the filter and put it all back together.
Still ran up to 25PSI within an hour.
So now I am thinking it's likely to not be just a filter issue - so I removed the filter from the equation and the PSI only dropped to 15PSI - which seems kinda high - but I dont actually where the problem is.
Any ideas on what is wrong ?
Bottom of pool intake clog ?
Clog in pipe somewhere ?
any way to figure out where ?
Thanks - Cardano
Other information :
- After cleaning the filters last year and before I put the DE in I was reading something like 5 PSI with clean Filter but no DE
- I made sure that the 'just before the pump' basket was empty as well as the skimmer basket.
- There is a bottom of the pool intake and it has some stuff on it - but my understanding of the piping of this leads me to believe that the skimmer basket is paralleled with the bottom intake so that any clogging of the bottom intake should have minimal clogging effect
- I have 6 discharge ports ( 2 Valves with 3 ports each ) and a booster discharge into the pool ( separate valve - broken in open position ) as well as 2 Waterfall features ( which are also discharges ) - so I had a few valves to play with and see it's effect on the PSI gauage.
- WaterFalls closed - all other ports open - 15PSI
- Waterfalls open - all ports open - 10PSI
- Waterfalls open - 6 ports closed - booster discharge open ( broke open )- 12PSI
- Gauge appears to be the one that came with the Hayward 4820 and has two internal marks - one at 15PSI and one at 25PSI which I have been taking to mean - clean DE filter should read 15PSI - clogged DE Filter in need of cleaning should read 25PSI - but I could be making that up.
Water readings - cause I had thought the CH would be insane ( Phoenix water is harder than all but diamonds ) - and the filter was just calcified but I'm still getting 15PSI with no filter in the system so that cant be all the trouble.
- FC : 3.5 ( Aborted start of slam due to not happy filter )
- CC : 0.5 ( it's possible something is living in there, but since SLAM involves near continuous filter operation and the filter not happy - this can wait on fixin the filtration )
- PH : 7.2 ( totally happy )
- CH : 600 ( High but not insane - I get 500+ from the city and near zero from the whole house water softener )
- TA : 60 ( almost as happy as the PH )
- CYA : 72 ( up from 60 last year which is kinda annoying since 60 was hard enough to keep managed so a partial refill is likely in my cards - and Softened water will also bring down the CH, but aint nothing gonna get better without a working filter - in other news living in the Sun's Anvil makes me think that overall a higher CYA isnt too bad but this will need some attention later )