Noobie (soon to be pool owner) Question

Feb 3, 2015
Spring Hill/FL.
Hi everyone and Thanks in advanced for your help. I'm putting up my new 18'x52" intex Ultra frame pool up next week and I've figured it will have about 8,600 gallons of water.

My question is how much liquid chlorine do I add to start off?

Do I add x amount then test before it's safe to swim?

It will take me 2 days to fill pool up as I'm reluctant to leave hose on over night.

How many containers should I have on hand to get my pool started?

Should I add some while its half full,then again when full?

I have a pool center near me that sells the liquid chlorine. I just don't want to get too little and make multiple trips in the beginning if I don't need to. I'd love to get up and running by Saturday! I've been lurking around and have received valuable info from this site,so thanks :)

Thanks You~Eileen

Welcome to TFP!

You will typically be adding about 2 ppm of chlorine each day. You can use PoolMath to calculate how much liquid chlorine that means using for your pool, and then multiply by the number of days in advance you want to purchase for.

If you can get the pool filled in two days, then there is no need to add any chlorine until the first evening after you get the pool full and the pump running. Add 2 ppm per day in the evening until 24 hours after adding CYA, and then switch to targeting the correct FC level for your CYA level based on the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School. That will still work out to roughly 2 ppm per day, but will vary a bit depending on CYA level, pool use, sunniness, water temperature, etc.

Hi everyone and Thanks in advanced for your help. I'm putting up my new 18'x52" intex Ultra frame pool up next week and I've figured it will have about 8,600 gallons of water.

My question is how much liquid chlorine do I add to start off?

Do I add x amount then test before it's safe to swim?

It will take me 2 days to fill pool up as I'm reluctant to leave hose on over night.

How many containers should I have on hand to get my pool started?

Should I add some while its half full,then again when full?

I have a pool center near me that sells the liquid chlorine. I just don't want to get too little and make multiple trips in the beginning if I don't need to. I'd love to get up and running by Saturday! I've been lurking around and have received valuable info from this site,so thanks :)

Thanks You~Eileen
Welcome! :wave:

The good news for you is that the water is fresh from the tap, so you're not dealing with any algae or other weirdness.

2ppm Free Chlorine in 8600 gallons is just under a quart. Figure each 121 oz jug of 8.25% Clorox is good for about 4 days, and buy accordingly. If it's stronger bleach - you'll use even less. Poolmath can tell you. Take the time to read the detailed directions in Pool School; you'll get more out of it. You won;t have any CYA in a fresh fill, so don't waste your test reagents checking it.

Please remember, chlorine is a consumable item. It goes away daily.

As Richard says in his signature "A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!"

I usually buy 8 or 10 gallons each time i get it. Its usually on sale when i get it. I go through about a gallon and a half .... maybe 2 gallons a week.

If that helps any.
Good advice!!

Similarly, I have a box that holds six bottles of bleach. When I'm at WalMart for something else I always pick up six - then transfer them to the shelves in the garage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.