Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Temp stuck at 77 degrees...reads low salt

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Temp stuck at 77 degrees...reads low salt

Anyone seen their SWG water temp get "frozen" at a particular reading? It's been reading 77 since I started looking again last week. Water temp was 58 at the time. Warmer now, (Seems a lot warmer to the touch, but only 61 by thermometer).
    Salt is reading 1900 at the SWG, correct reading by salt meter is 2940. Despite all this, it is generating enough chlorine to keep me at 3ppm. (Had fallen to 1ppm when things warmed up last week.)

I started up the generator last week, since the pool was just starting to lose chlorine, after being off all winter. Is there a good write-up anywhere of winterizing your SWG? I tried removing the cell this winter, put in a blanking pipe, since every spring I have trouble with my SWG, I thought perhaps the cells did not take kindly to the freezing temps.

Anyway, I am thinking that there is a formula used to calculate the salt level, which must involve water temperature and the current flowing through the cell. When things are running properly, I see 5-7amps to the cell, vs the 2.8-3.5 I am seeing now.
    19k gal, STS1072R A.O. Smith C-Face Motor .75HP Full-Rated 2-Speed, Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Temp stuck at 77 degrees...reads low salt

I wouldnt have any idea, but will give this a bump.

I'm sure it would help if you mention which type of SWG system you have too.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Unbelievable! OK, so I am using an Optimum salt cell, and I had my warrantee replaced Compupool cell handy (took over 6 months to receive replacement), so I put that one on with the same results!!
    77 degrees and 1900 salt. (Actually only 800 salt, because it was firing form only one half, the same reason I had warranteed the previous cell.)

So I put back the Optimum, and this time I noticed that I had been misaligning the socket at the generator. There is a rectangular opening, and I was centering the socket in said opening.
    Turns out, there is a little groove on the plug for alignment, and I was plugging in 1 pin above the connector (it was a tough fit, once properly aligned it just pops right in.)

So, moral of the story, if you see a hardcoded 77 degrees, you have misaligned the plug at the SWG!

Thanks for listening.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, reads 62 degrees and 2900 salt now.
    19k gal, STS1072R A.O. Smith C-Face Motor .75HP Full-Rated 2-Speed, Hayward Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Good deal that you got it fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by LotusRacerX View Post
    Unbelievable! OK, so I am using an Optimum salt cell, and I had my warrantee replaced Compupool cell handy (took over 6 months to receive replacement), so I put that one on with the same results!!
    77 degrees and 1900 salt. (Actually only 800 salt, because it was firing form only one half, the same reason I had warranteed the previous cell.)

So I put back the Optimum, and this time I noticed that I had been misaligning the socket at the generator. There is a rectangular opening, and I was centering the socket in said opening.
    Turns out, there is a little groove on the plug for alignment, and I was plugging in 1 pin above the connector (it was a tough fit, once properly aligned it just pops right in.)

So, moral of the story, if you see a hardcoded 77 degrees, you have misaligned the plug at the SWG!

Thanks for listening.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, reads 62 degrees and 2900 salt now.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's unbelievable! Sounds like the Optimum designers need to think about a little poka yoke for the next product iteration.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir