May 31, 2008
North Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Backround:
I have a 30,000 gal in ground, blue plaster pool in North VA. Pool is about 20 yrs old, but we were told plaster is about 5 yrs old. Paver coping is intact as is water line tile and the joint between the coping and tile.

Situation:
I count about 14 places in the pool walls and bottom where the plaster is cracked like you'd see on an egg. Calcium (or other white) deposits collect at some of these, and some have a hollow sound when tapped. Surrounding areas are not hollow. At least one piece of plaster approx 1" x 2" has popped off of one of these spots (and surface underneath is white). I just saw another spot that looks popped, but it's blue underneath--I can't get into the pool to inspect due to surgery.

Questions:
1. Is there an acceptable underwater repair (except underwater epoxy injection) that doesn't require special equipment for areas where the plaster has popped off? If so, what is it?

2. If the plaster is cracked and hollow (thereby not adequately adhered), must I be losing water? Water line levels don't show this.

3. At what point (number of spots, square feet of area, etc) would it be prudent to replaster? :(

4. For built-up roofs, a popped blister = leak, but an air tight blister just needs watching (some people say pop and fix). How does this analogy fit pool plaster?

5. Any idea on how long my plaster has to live, doctor? :)

AJGIII

ajgiii said:
Backround:
I have a 30,000 gal in ground, blue plaster pool in North VA. Pool is about 20 yrs old, but we were told plaster is about 5 yrs old. Paver coping is intact as is water line tile and the joint between the coping and tile.

Situation:
I count about 14 places in the pool walls and bottom where the plaster is cracked like you'd see on an egg. Calcium (or other white) deposits collect at some of these, and some have a hollow sound when tapped. Surrounding areas are not hollow. At least one piece of plaster approx 1" x 2" has popped off of one of these spots (and surface underneath is white). I just saw another spot that looks popped, but it's blue underneath--I can't get into the pool to inspect due to surgery.

Questions:
1. Is there an acceptable underwater repair (except underwater epoxy injection) that doesn't require special equipment for areas where the plaster has popped off? If so, what is it? No.

2. If the plaster is cracked and hollow (thereby not adequately adhered), must I be losing water? Water line levels don't show this. No

3. At what point (number of spots, square feet of area, etc) would it be prudent to replaster? :( Probably only when it becomes aesthetically objectionable

4. For built-up roofs, a popped blister = leak, but an air tight blister just needs watching (some people say pop and fix). How does this analogy fit pool plaster? irrelevant

5. Any idea on how long my plaster has to live, doctor? :) Nope

AJGIII

It sounds like the new plaster has not bonded to the old everywhere. How much of your pool is affected only time will tell. If more and more pieces pop off, it may get to a point where it will all need to be replaced. Draining the pool below the repairs may help for a period of time but it will eventually continue to come loose wherever it is not bonded to the old surface. Freeze/thaw will probably accellerate the process if you winterize your pool.

Hi Dave

Thank you for your response.

Naturally, after my post, I remembered the site I studied underwater plaster repair: http://www.throop.com/pool.html

I even spoke to a rep and they said dyeing the material would not be a problem. I just didn't get a snorkel and try it. Was wondering if anyone else had.

In CA, conventional wisdom is that the plaster is the waterproof layer. But if the old plaster isn't entirely removed, or not at all, maybe I have two layers of plaster? Not sure if that's a good thing. I guess I'll find out.

I did think of the winterizing, and it seems like I do have more cracks this year. The water doesn't freeze as low as the cracks are, however. Most are on the floor, mostly before the shallow-deep transition, down to the deep end.

Thanks again.

AJGIII

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.