New to taking care of my pool

We had the pool when we bought the home in 1995. Have not much used it. Paid somebody to maintain it. Do not know any thing about the chemistry of the pool or equipment.
Now I want to learn it all. Eventually I want to maintain the pool myself.
But I know Chemistry - PH levels, chemicals - acids, alkalies, salts, etc. But I am not mechanically inclined.
I want to thank everybody for doing a wonderful job in layout information on the site in a very lucid way. I am soaking the information.
Part of my challenge is that I don't know a lot of information about my pool. Like construction material.
I am going to read the labels on the equipment and learn what I have.

It is going to steep learning but I am up to it. I welcome any input how to go about learning.

Thank you,

Jay Jain

Welcome to the forum JayJain! :wave:

If you have a chemical background, it will make it easier for you. Even so, I highly recommend spending some time in Pool School, beginning with the ABCs. It may be elementary for you, but it will help you with what we teach. Second suggestion is a good test kit if you are doing this yourself. I like the TF100 best, because it's the best value for the dollar, and it has Top shelf Taylor reagents.

Take a pic of your pool and equipment, and we can help you out with some of the other questions. Glad you found us, and hope you enjoy the forum. :cheers:

Welcome! You are doing so many things right!

-Find TFP
-Post on TFP
-Reading TFP

Now the next thing you need to do to take over your pool (and save some major money) is to order a good test kit.

Shoot us some pics of your pool and equipment and we can help out there.

Kim