Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to taking care of my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Villa Park, CA 92861

New to taking care of my pool

We had the pool when we bought the home in 1995. Have not much used it. Paid somebody to maintain it. Do not know any thing about the chemistry of the pool or equipment.
    Now I want to learn it all. Eventually I want to maintain the pool myself.
    But I know Chemistry - PH levels, chemicals - acids, alkalies, salts, etc. But I am not mechanically inclined.
    I want to thank everybody for doing a wonderful job in layout information on the site in a very lucid way. I am soaking the information.
    Part of my challenge is that I don't know a lot of information about my pool. Like construction material.
    I am going to read the labels on the equipment and learn what I have.

It is going to steep learning but I am up to it. I welcome any input how to go about learning.

Thank you,

Jay Jain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to taking care of my pool

Welcome to the forum JayJain!

If you have a chemical background, it will make it easier for you. Even so, I highly recommend spending some time in Pool School, beginning with the ABCs. It may be elementary for you, but it will help you with what we teach. Second suggestion is a good test kit if you are doing this yourself. I like the TF100 best, because it's the best value for the dollar, and it has Top shelf Taylor reagents.

Take a pic of your pool and equipment, and we can help you out with some of the other questions. Glad you found us, and hope you enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

Welcome! You are doing so many things right!

-Find TFP
    -Post on TFP
    -Reading TFP

Now the next thing you need to do to take over your pool (and save some major money) is to order a good test kit.

Shoot us some pics of your pool and equipment and we can help out there.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

You found the right place with info and people to help you!

I 2nd Patricks recommendation of post pics.

Get some good pics, and we can help you a LOT in figuring out what it all is.
    here is how to post pics tutorial
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum Jay
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!