How long should shocking take?

Garet Jax

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Hello all,

I have been shocking my hot tub for days, but I can't the bacteria down below the recommended level. How long should shocking the hot tub take? I am getting fed up and am on the verge of dumping the water and just filling it back up again.

I second the draining, then using Ahhhhsome to cleanse the system, then starting afresh. Once you're out-of-whack on a hot tub, draining makes more sense than shocking. Pools are different due to volume and comparatively lower water temp, plus being open as opposed to closed.

I second the draining, then using Ahhhhsome to cleanse the system, then starting afresh. Once you're out-of-whack on a hot tub, draining makes more sense than shocking. Pools are different due to volume and comparatively lower water temp, plus being open as opposed to closed.

OK - just picked up some Ahh-Some. Reading the instructions tells me that I drop a table spoon into the filled hot tub, let it filter for 20-30 mins, then drain it, clean it and re-fill it. Your instructions suggest otherwise. Can someone help me rationalize the difference? Thanks.

Does someone have instructions

- - - Updated - - -

Have you been using Monopersulfate shock at all? It reads falsely as CC. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=33

No I strictly use "Chlorinating Concentrate" which has Sodium dichloro to build up the CYA and then straight chlorine from a pool store to keep the chlorine levels up.

Swampwoman said to drain, then refill and use the Ahhh-some, then drain and refill again. Pretty much what the instructions say except for the preliminary drain to remove what you can first.

It is a hot tub, I would drain anytime there is a problem. Not sure how to further rationalize $5 in water to drain ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.