Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long should shocking take?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long should shocking take?

Hello all,

I have been shocking my hot tub for days, but I can't the bacteria down below the recommended level. How long should shocking the hot tub take? I am getting fed up and am on the verge of dumping the water and just filling it back up again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long should shocking take?

I would just dump it if I thought it was Bacteria. How do you know that you have a Bio Population like that?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I would just dump it if I thought it was Bacteria. How do you know that you have a Bio Population like that?
    Sorry meant Combined Chloramines (CC). I am using the TFTestKit and I am measuring 2 -3 X 0.5 ppm. The count hasn't dropped for days. It isn't BIO Population.

4. Back To Top    #4

I second the draining, then using Ahhhhsome to cleanse the system, then starting afresh. Once you're out-of-whack on a hot tub, draining makes more sense than shocking. Pools are different due to volume and comparatively lower water temp, plus being open as opposed to closed.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, OK, I was just curious about that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you been using Monopersulfate shock at all? It reads falsely as CC. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=33
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    I second the draining, then using Ahhhhsome to cleanse the system, then starting afresh. Once you're out-of-whack on a hot tub, draining makes more sense than shocking. Pools are different due to volume and comparatively lower water temp, plus being open as opposed to closed.
    OK - just picked up some Ahh-Some. Reading the instructions tells me that I drop a table spoon into the filled hot tub, let it filter for 20-30 mins, then drain it, clean it and re-fill it. Your instructions suggest otherwise. Can someone help me rationalize the difference? Thanks.

Does someone have instructions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Have you been using Monopersulfate shock at all? It reads falsely as CC. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=33
    No I strictly use "Chlorinating Concentrate" which has Sodium dichloro to build up the CYA and then straight chlorine from a pool store to keep the chlorine levels up.

8. Back To Top    #8

Swampwoman said to drain, then refill and use the Ahhh-some, then drain and refill again. Pretty much what the instructions say except for the preliminary drain to remove what you can first.

It is a hot tub, I would drain anytime there is a problem. Not sure how to further rationalize $5 in water to drain
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    It is a hot tub, I would drain anytime there is a problem. Not sure how to further rationalize $5 in water to drain
    Yeah - this is exactly what I have been trying to avoid. I don't care about the money - it's the 300 gallons I want to avoid wasting.

10. Back To Top    #10

Water your plants.

Generally hot tubs need to be drained on a regular basis anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!