Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to aerate

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to aerate

I am using an aerator modeled after this example: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...orching-hot-PA

TA is pretty high - 175. How long should I run my aeration before testing TA and pH?

Thanks
    35K gallons, StaRite S8D110 DE Filter, Pentair IntelliFlo vs3050 pump, IG gunite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to aerate

This is from "Pool School".

The acid/aeration process to lower TA:
    1. Add acid to lower your PH to between 7.0 and 7.2 (this also lowers TA)
    2. Aerate until PH rises to around 7.6 (the only way to raise PH without also raising TA)
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you reach the desired TA.

You should post a full set of test results, to get the best advice from the forum. Use Pool Math to see how much acid to add. And keep an eye on CSI Index (using Pool Math).
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Right. Thank you. I have read that. I was looking for clock time from someone who might have gone through this before me.
    35K gallons, StaRite S8D110 DE Filter, Pentair IntelliFlo vs3050 pump, IG gunite

4. Back To Top    #4

In my experience, about three hours aeration is long enough to need to lower pH again. That's with 100% return to the spa, but no booster and no air jets. Your pool is larger than mine, though.

The question is why? Do you have high CH to where the CSI is dangerously high? Are you having to add acid every day to control pH? Or are you just trying to reach a suggested value?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have to add too much acid too frequently to maintain pH. Hoping that bringing TA in line with recommendations will help balance the pool and reduce acid demand.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    I have to add too much acid too frequently to maintain pH. Hoping that bringing TA in line with recommendations will help balance the pool and reduce acid demand.
    Okay, that's a good enough reason.

The acid it takes to lower the TA will end up being the same. You're just speeding up the process. The CO2 does outgas faster at lower pH, so if you've tested and it's up to 7.5 or whatever, you don't need to wait until 7.6 to dose it again. Keep pushing it down. Just don't go below 7.0 or you might start etching the innards of the heater.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!