Sand Filter @ 40+ psi?

Jun 18, 2012
N. Georgia
My sand filter is running at an extremely high pressure compared to what I've read is "normal". I realize every setup is different but is this too much for a filter to handle? I say 40+ psi because the gauge is pegged.

Oh and when I originally filled the filter with sand it was reading ~25 or so. Now even after a backwash I can't get it down. If I run just the cleaner it will sit around 30 psi (no main drain or skimmer).

Any ideas or thoughts?

Equip Pad:

Few, if any, pumps can produce 40 psi so I suspect the problem is in your guage. It's a cheap fix to replace it and see.

I actually have another one. Long story but I'm on my 3rd filter. The 2nd failed under warranty and Ranger just sent a whole new package (valve assembly included) instead of just the tank.

I'll go try it now and verify I don't have a faulty gauge. Thank you.

Few, if any, pumps can produce 40 psi so I suspect the problem is in your guage. It's a cheap fix to replace it and see.

NICE call! I'm sitting at 24 psi now with main, cleaner, and skimmer all pulling.

Doesn't that still seem a little high though? I feel good that is true because it matches the other gauge when I first installed it. I'm just nervous because the other 2 tanks both split on the manufacturers mold seam. Granted the first lasted ~13 years with the same pump...The 2nd only 3 months though. Perhaps it was just faulty from the factory and I'm thinking it was pressure related?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.