Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter @ 40+ psi?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter @ 40+ psi?

My sand filter is running at an extremely high pressure compared to what I've read is "normal". I realize every setup is different but is this too much for a filter to handle? I say 40+ psi because the gauge is pegged.

Oh and when I originally filled the filter with sand it was reading ~25 or so. Now even after a backwash I can't get it down. If I run just the cleaner it will sit around 30 psi (no main drain or skimmer).

Any ideas or thoughts?

Equip Pad:
    IG Vinyl 16-18k gal, Intelliclor IC40 SWCG, Ranger 24" Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Pump 1 1/2 HP, Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand Filter @ 40+ psi?

Few, if any, pumps can produce 40 psi so I suspect the problem is in your guage. It's a cheap fix to replace it and see.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Few, if any, pumps can produce 40 psi so I suspect the problem is in your guage. It's a cheap fix to replace it and see.
    I actually have another one. Long story but I'm on my 3rd filter. The 2nd failed under warranty and Ranger just sent a whole new package (valve assembly included) instead of just the tank.

I'll go try it now and verify I don't have a faulty gauge. Thank you.
    IG Vinyl 16-18k gal, Intelliclor IC40 SWCG, Ranger 24" Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Pump 1 1/2 HP, Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    NICE call! I'm sitting at 24 psi now with main, cleaner, and skimmer all pulling.

Doesn't that still seem a little high though? I feel good that is true because it matches the other gauge when I first installed it. I'm just nervous because the other 2 tanks both split on the manufacturers mold seam. Granted the first lasted ~13 years with the same pump...The 2nd only 3 months though. Perhaps it was just faulty from the factory and I'm thinking it was pressure related?

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be good to go. I believe those sand filters are rated to take 60 psi. Gotta luv those cheap gauges!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    You should be good to go. I believe those sand filters are rated to take 60 psi. Gotta luv those cheap gauges!
    Its terrible once something has failed. You lose faith in it and always see it as the weak link.

Thanks for the feedback!