Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New CYA Reducer coming Spring 2015

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

New CYA Reducer coming Spring 2015

My boss just attended a trade show last week, and he came back really excited about a new product that claims to reduce CYA in swimming pools. I did a little searching, and I was able to find an MSDS and some marketing information. It sounds like the product introduces biological agents to the pool that in turn break down the CYA. I haven't been able to find any information on the recommended use, or the conditions under which it will work. It will be interesting to see how it works.

The product is called Bio-Active.

http://www.solarsunrings.com/bioactivenow/

http://www.solarsunrings.com/bioacti...ersion%201.pdf

http://www.solarsunrings.com/bioacti...215%20v4.0.pdf

The first link will take you to their homepage. The second takes you to a PDF of their fact sheet. The third is their MSDS.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New CYA Reducer coming Spring 2015

This has already been discussed here.

The general reaction is skeptical, though most of us are waiting until it is available and gets tried out before having a solid option. It also appears to be relatively expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I knew I had seen some discussion of CYA removers, but I wasn't sure if this was the one. I'm a bit skeptical myself. I have a feeling it will require low chlorine levels to work, and will consume chlorine while it does its thing. Might not be so bad if the end result is lower CYA, but I'm not expecting it to be a miracle fix.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure would be nice if it actually works, doesn't screw up anything else in the process and isn't too high dollar.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

My question is whose gonna be the guinea pig and raise their CYA high to test it out?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

We get dozens of candidates a month with high CYA level throughout the spring and early summer. Finding someone to try it out will be very easy once one can actually get their hands on the product. People will be lining up to try it out, even if it doesn't make clear financial sense.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Lol...true that Jason. I was one of them 2 yrs ago!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm hoping it turns out to be a viable product. Perhaps we will find out this summer. Soon enough there will be an influx of over stabilized candidates.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem