Hayward star clear filter leaking debris issue

Mar 31, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Hey,

I have a Hayward star clear 200sq cartridge filter. It's only 2 years old. It works like a charm. It's set up with a pentair inteliflow pump. The problem I have is when I do a vacuum fine debris bypasses the filter and comes out. I clean the cartridges every 2 months. Use tsp over night and light acid cleaning. Have two cartridges and swap them out every 2 months. The issue works on both. I have tried clipping a piece of cloth and zip tying it around the internal clear in pipe. Still no joy. I was wondering if there is a small post-filter I could put on my set up. Maybe the Jandy Energy filter. To help catch the fine debris. What do you think? Anyone else have this issue. I wouldn't consider switching to DE. Cartridge works fine on a 15k I ground pool.

If visible dust/debris is passing through the filter something is wrong. Nothing you can see should be getting through the filter. The most common problem is small tears in the cartridge fabric, though since both of your cartridges are having problems it could be something failing to seal correctly inside the filter instead.

By the by cleaning your cartridges that aggressively and that frequently is not needed and shortens the lifetime of the cartridges. All that is required most of the time is a simple rinse with a garden hose. You should never use acid for cleaning unless you know you have calcium scaling problems. And the overnight detergent soak is best saved for when the clean filter pressure goes up from when the cartridges were new.

Good day, cartridge filters are like sand filters, better filters as they get dirty. If you are seeing very fine debris (algae?) the reason could be too frequent cleaning. Cleaning as you do seems very aggressive and not needed. Remember clean when the pressure goes up 8-10lbs. This give the filter time to build debris and become a better filter. Check for tears in the filter. Good test is adding dirt from the yard to the skimmer and seeing if it all comes back.

Good day, cartridge filters are like sand filters, better filters as they get dirty. If you are seeing very fine debris (algae?) the reason could be too frequent cleaning. Cleaning as you do seems very aggressive and not needed. Remember clean when the pressure goes up 8-10lbs. This give the filter time to build debris and become a better filter. Check for tears in the filter. Good test is adding dirt from the yard to the skimmer and seeing if it all comes back.

This is good stuff. I didn't really think there could be too many downsides to over-cleaning cartridge filters. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.