SWG for large above ground pool?

BellaBuggy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Bardstown KY
Hello, new here and new to owning a 'real' pool so I know next to nothing. I admit that right up front. :)

Installing a 33' round pool in 2 weeks and we want to use a SWG. However, I believe we will have 28,500 gallons of water and most of the SWG systems seem to be rated for up to 18,000 gallons. I found one Hayward model for up to 23,000 gallons. Is there any SWG made for an above ground pool larger than that? I have googled quite a bit and I'm finding nothing, so I apologize if this is a dumb question!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I don't know what they have for AG pools, but we suggest a SWG at least 1.5 X the rated size for a given pool.

If you want to learn about pool care, you came to the right place, and there are no dumb questions. We enjoy helping people learn.

You can almost certainly use an in-ground pool SWG. You will need hardwired electrical service and the pool must be bonded. Most very large above ground pools do both of those things anyway.

The other option is to use two smaller SWG units.

Whatever your choice is, just make sure the salt water does not void any warranty. It probably won't have any affect on your pool, but your manufacturer may say otherwise. I was thinking SWG, until I read the fine print on my warranty. To be honest, dumping chlorine/bleach in every day, or every other day is really no big deal.

I do not know much about pools (still reading Pool School!) so I was just going by how I saw things advertised. Some are billed as being for above ground and some in ground, so I thought there must be some distinguishing feature I wasn't aware of yet. ? If the Jandy would work for us that would be great!

One of the reasons we chose this pool is because it's salt friendly. One of my kids has skin sensitivity to bleach/chlorine tabs for whatever reason, but does ok in salt pools.

There are several minor differences between in-ground and above ground SWGs. In-ground SWGs always have to be bonded, so they will always include a bonding lug. Above ground SWGs rarely have a bonding lug. In-ground SWGs are normally hardwired, so they will almost never come with a power cord. Above ground SWGs are almost always plugged into an outlet and will almost always come with a power cord. In-ground SWGs are almost always hard plumbed with glued PVC connections. Above ground SWGs are almost always connected to hoses so they will come with barbed fittings suitable for hoses.

Most of these can be easily converted to the other style with the appropriate adapters/wiring. The only serious limitation is that you often can't bond an above ground SWG that doesn't have a bonding lug, and thus using that SWG on an in-ground pool is often a code violation. Of course a few of the above ground SWGs come with bonding lugs these days.

Whatever your choice is, just make sure the salt water does not void any warranty. It probably won't have any affect on your pool, but your manufacturer may say otherwise. I was thinking SWG, until I read the fine print on my warranty. To be honest, dumping chlorine/bleach in every day, or every other day is really no big deal.

Does it give a specific salt level that will void the warranty? I remember seeing in a couple threads where people had only used bleach, and had built up a salt level of 1000ppm or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are several minor differences between in-ground and above ground SWGs. In-ground SWGs always have to be bonded, so they will always include a bonding lug. Above ground SWGs rarely have a bonding lug. In-ground SWGs are normally hardwired, so they will almost never come with a power cord. Above ground SWGs are almost always plugged into an outlet and will almost always come with a power cord. In-ground SWGs are almost always hard plumbed with glued PVC connections. Above ground SWGs are almost always connected to hoses so they will come with barbed fittings suitable for hoses.

Most of these can be easily converted to the other style with the appropriate adapters/wiring. The only serious limitation is that you often can't bond an above ground SWG that doesn't have a bonding lug, and thus using that SWG on an in-ground pool is often a code violation. Of course a few of the above ground SWGs come with bonding lugs these days.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.