Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG for large above ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG for large above ground pool?

Hello, new here and new to owning a 'real' pool so I know next to nothing. I admit that right up front.

Installing a 33' round pool in 2 weeks and we want to use a SWG. However, I believe we will have 28,500 gallons of water and most of the SWG systems seem to be rated for up to 18,000 gallons. I found one Hayward model for up to 23,000 gallons. Is there any SWG made for an above ground pool larger than that? I have googled quite a bit and I'm finding nothing, so I apologize if this is a dumb question!
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG for large above ground pool?

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know what they have for AG pools, but we suggest a SWG at least 1.5 X the rated size for a given pool.

If you want to learn about pool care, you came to the right place, and there are no dumb questions. We enjoy helping people learn.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

You can almost certainly use an in-ground pool SWG. You will need hardwired electrical service and the pool must be bonded. Most very large above ground pools do both of those things anyway.

The other option is to use two smaller SWG units.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I didn't even know two units were a possibility. Our pool store didn't recommend the SWG, I inquired about it, and I'm seemingly on my own to figure it all out!
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The Jandy FSOFT1400 system is good to 40,000 Gals

6. Back To Top    #6

I have...NO...idea why there are SWGs for a normal above ground pool vs. an in-ground pool. Wouldn't matter to me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Whatever your choice is, just make sure the salt water does not void any warranty. It probably won't have any affect on your pool, but your manufacturer may say otherwise. I was thinking SWG, until I read the fine print on my warranty. To be honest, dumping chlorine/bleach in every day, or every other day is really no big deal.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I do not know much about pools (still reading Pool School!) so I was just going by how I saw things advertised. Some are billed as being for above ground and some in ground, so I thought there must be some distinguishing feature I wasn't aware of yet. ? If the Jandy would work for us that would be great!

One of the reasons we chose this pool is because it's salt friendly. One of my kids has skin sensitivity to bleach/chlorine tabs for whatever reason, but does ok in salt pools.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are several minor differences between in-ground and above ground SWGs. In-ground SWGs always have to be bonded, so they will always include a bonding lug. Above ground SWGs rarely have a bonding lug. In-ground SWGs are normally hardwired, so they will almost never come with a power cord. Above ground SWGs are almost always plugged into an outlet and will almost always come with a power cord. In-ground SWGs are almost always hard plumbed with glued PVC connections. Above ground SWGs are almost always connected to hoses so they will come with barbed fittings suitable for hoses.

Most of these can be easily converted to the other style with the appropriate adapters/wiring. The only serious limitation is that you often can't bond an above ground SWG that doesn't have a bonding lug, and thus using that SWG on an in-ground pool is often a code violation. Of course a few of the above ground SWGs come with bonding lugs these days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by LI poolguy View Post
    Whatever your choice is, just make sure the salt water does not void any warranty. It probably won't have any affect on your pool, but your manufacturer may say otherwise. I was thinking SWG, until I read the fine print on my warranty. To be honest, dumping chlorine/bleach in every day, or every other day is really no big deal.
    Does it give a specific salt level that will void the warranty? I remember seeing in a couple threads where people had only used bleach, and had built up a salt level of 1000ppm or more.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I have never seen an above ground pool warranty that lists an acceptable salt level. The wording varies, but it is almost always fairly vague.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    There are several minor differences between in-ground and above ground SWGs. In-ground SWGs always have to be bonded, so they will always include a bonding lug. Above ground SWGs rarely have a bonding lug. In-ground SWGs are normally hardwired, so they will almost never come with a power cord. Above ground SWGs are almost always plugged into an outlet and will almost always come with a power cord. In-ground SWGs are almost always hard plumbed with glued PVC connections. Above ground SWGs are almost always connected to hoses so they will come with barbed fittings suitable for hoses.

Most of these can be easily converted to the other style with the appropriate adapters/wiring. The only serious limitation is that you often can't bond an above ground SWG that doesn't have a bonding lug, and thus using that SWG on an in-ground pool is often a code violation. Of course a few of the above ground SWGs come with bonding lugs these days.
    Thank you, this is very helpful!