Jangled nerves over pool opening (Short and Long versions)

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
Short version:

The platform that holds my filter and pump has sunk into the mud and is no longer level. What is the best way to correct this problem and how can the00 lb filter be best and safely moved?

Long version:

I'm still a way off from opening my pool. There is a giant ice cube floating around in the pool and my cover has ice on it too. I'm starting to feel panicky about opening my pool. This is the first year for me to open the pool since it was installed last year. Last year my opening was less than ideal. I basically slammed the entire summer because my pool wouldn't pass the OCLT. Finally, out of disgust, I let chlorine levels drop to around normal and miracle of miracles, I passed OCLT. No explanation just a passing result.

So now, I have a fear of that again. I also have another list of fears. I'm really just venting here. I have no one else to talk to about pool stress. Most of these fears are just plain silly, but nevertheless, here they are:
- I forgot everything I learned last summer and I'm going to end up with a green pool,
- I took everything apart (hoses,valves, light assembly) and even though I took a million pictures, I won't get it put back together right,
-I'm going to try a SWCG this year and I'll probably have to figure out the install myself, and it's made for intex so I have to figure out how to make it work with my pool. Thankfully I found an article on here showing how to do it.
-I need to install shut-off valves in places they should have been but weren't,
-My 200 lb sand filter and the platform that it stands on along with the pump (which is currently in my basement) is no longer level after sinking into the mud. This is a real concern. I know this must be solved before any water enters the system.
-I need to stain the deck and mini pool house and landscape around the pool with edging and rock to keep mud around the pool to a minimum.

Most of this is not really something I need to worry about but definitely rolling around in my head. I would appreciate any thoughts on the releveling of the filter. My plan is to build a frame out of landscape timbers and compact some pea gravel and sand inside to level then put 12” patio blocks or concrete inside the frame, then reinstall the filter and pump on that. My husband may have a concrete project on the farm this spring, so that is a possibility.

For those of you that have had to do something similar with your filter how did you do it? Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated?

I'd go with a real Slab for the filter if it was me. That's a fair amount of weight when it's full of water too.

I don't know about your chemical issues from last year, but we can figure that out this year.

Based on your post with concerns and worries, I wonder if you should add to it by putting in a SWG on top of all that.

I sunk post 3ft into the ground n cemented them in n built my platform for my DE filter.

Refresh in pool school n take a few deep breaths.

I actually used a air conditioner cement pad that I found when I replaced my older air conditioner. It is the perfect dimension for the filter, I have my SWG on some patio pavers next to the air con block. I don't know if you can get those air con pads at like Menards or Home Depot? Or just get some paver base, tamp it down and that should work.

Various soil conditions can require different approaches. Around here dropping a few large pavers is more than enough, but in some areas, where ground movement is common, you need to put in a significant foundation to keep the pad from shifting.

It looks like we're going to have some concrete poured for other things at the farm this spring and I've been promised the leftover. It looks like concrete is the winner! I'm pretty happy about it too. I won't have to deal with weeds around the equipment :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.