Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaking pool

1. Back To Top    #1

leaking pool

Hi,
    I have an in-ground fiberglass pool which started leaking,1 INCH daily,about a month ago.I called my pool guy
    and he suggested to let it go to find out where it will stop.
    well it was 1/2 way above the pool light.Then we drained the pool and resealed the light,filled it up again and
    still was leaking.another pool guy told us it could be the equalizer line.so we drained it again,plugged the line on
    both ends,refilled and it still leaks.I called the local leak detection company and they told me it only could be
    on of the previous problems and did not charge me and told me it was a waste of time looking for leaks inside the pipes.
    what else can there be done??I am pretty desperate at this time.Can we permanently plug the light??Will that
    solve the problem.Please help anybody who might have suggestions.Peter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: leaking pool

Welcome to the forum.

Your issue is not clear.

Did you let the water leak down until it stopped leaking? If so, where did it stop?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

hi,
    yes it stopped 1/2 way between the top and the bottom of the light both times.Peter

4. Back To Top    #4

I dont know if this will work or not, but it might be worth a try. Of course the maker claims it works. Looks like it has a fair chance of it if you can get in in tight enough.

you might also put some more putty over the stopper to help it out some.

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-738-cord-stopper.aspx
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

hi,
    and also we did the dye test around the perimeter of the light and nothing draws.Peter

6. Back To Top    #6

peter,
    the most common reason for leaking at the light is where the conduit behind the niche screws into it. If the trench wasnt backfilled, at least to conduit level, the as the ground settles, it put tremendous pressure on the conduit, and the weak point is where teh conduit screws into the coupling on the light niche.

If that is where its leaking, you wont find it with dye by squirting it around the face plate. Its too far away. You would have to remove the light fixture to get to that spot.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

A 1" a day leak is fairly slow, which can make it difficult to get a clear result from the dye test.

In addition to what everyone else mentioned, it is worth going around the entire pool and checking everything at the level of the light to see if there are any cracks or other fittings at that same height.

Leaks can be very difficult to pin down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks.We will try anything at this point.Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.we did try that with dye around the line where the leak stopped and nothing pulled the dye.also when pool was empty we checked for cracks etc.at that time.nothing.Peter

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks and good idea and we'll have to try that and put our waders on and go inside the light fixture with dye.Peter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    peter,
    the most common reason for leaking at the light is where the conduit behind the niche screws into it. If the trench wasnt backfilled, at least to conduit level, the as the ground settles, it put tremendous pressure on the conduit, and the weak point is where teh conduit screws into the coupling on the light niche.

If that is where its leaking, you wont find it with dye by squirting it around the face plate. Its too far away. You would have to remove the light fixture to get to that spot.
    Hi,again.we tried putting dye inside the light with NO result.is there a way to completely seal the hole of the light even if we have no more light.Better than filling it with water every few days.Thanks for you help.Peter