New Pumping Station

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
After swimming season last year, my current pump locked up and stopped working. I took it apart hoping that I could fix it, with no luck. The pump is a part of the Intex Krystal Clear Pool Sand filter. I know that I can't just get a new pump for this, I would have to purchase a whole new sand filter / pump combo. I've already talked to some local pool supply stores and there isn't an option of just replacing the pump with another brand. They have said that any pump they could sell me would be too powerful for the remaining sand filter. So I think my only option is to purchase a new pump and filter. That being said, I don't really like Intex for the simple fact that when something breaks, you're forced to purchase a whole new setup because I haven't been able to find any replacement parts. I'm sure they make them, but no one (that I can find) sells them. So I am looking for suggestions on a new pump and sand filter, I'd prefer to stay away from Intex (I know they're about the cheapest thing out there, but sometimes you get what you pay for). My pool setup is fairly straight forward an Intex above ground vinyl pool 18' x 18' x 4' (right at 7600 gallons I believe). I have an Intex SWG after my pump and filter, but would be open to replacing that as well if it would not work with the new pumping station (but I do want to stay with SWG). The pump is fried, but the filter is still in working order it's an 18" sand filter. I'm assuming that I need a 3/4 hp pump (which I think is the smallest they make) and an 18" sand filter. I'm mainly looking for suggestions of which brand(s) are the most reputable (and have replacement parts available). Also if you see anything wrong with my setup, now's the time to fix it, so any suggestions will be most welcome!

Thanks!

Edit : I've looked in the "Pumping Station" section and "Reviews" section, but didn't really find anything relevant. If you know of a post that would be helpful, please let me know.

Maximum Working Pressure : 3.5 bar (50 psi)
Maximum Flow Rate : 10030 liters/hour (2650 gallons/hour)

Filtering Media Quantity : No 20 silica sand 45Kg (100 Lbs) or glass sand 32Kg (70 Lbs)

Sorry for leaving that out. I knew I was forgetting something in my original post.

A filter will be able to accept any pump but normal inground pumps may have to high of flow for the internal components of filter and rate of filtration, if you know the union size of your filter a pool store rep could calculate your flow for any given pump and size you up

If you chose to upgrade to a better quality pump and filter like the Hayward or Pentair units it might be a good idea to consider a two speed pump as it can save you some money in operating costs. Just depends on how much you use the pool and how often you run the pump.

A filter will be able to accept any pump but normal inground pumps may have to high of flow for the internal components of filter and rate of filtration, if you know the union size of your filter a pool store rep could calculate your flow for any given pump and size you up

I have already talked to the 2 pool supply stores within driving distance, both have said that any pump they could sell me would be too strong for my existing filter. I talked to them last year and don't remember their exact reason behind it, I just know that they said my only option to replace the pump was to buy a new pump and filter.

Pentair and Hayward are two of the major brands that are well thought of. Minimal systems from either brand is going to be noticeably more expensive than an Intex sand filter, and also better.

Thanks for the input. I am going to do some research on those two brands. I know that just about any pump and filter will be more expensive than Intex. I am trying to get away from Intex. My pre-filter assembly broke last year, it was impossible to get a new pre-filter from intex (I couldn't find anyone that sells intex replacement parts). I don't want to buy a new Intex pump & filter, something break, then be forced to buy another setup. I am hoping that if I go with a reputable brand, such as Pentair or Hayward, if something breaks I can just replace the broken part instead of having to start from scratch again.

If you chose to upgrade to a better quality pump and filter like the Hayward or Pentair units it might be a good idea to consider a two speed pump as it can save you some money in operating costs. Just depends on how much you use the pool and how often you run the pump.

With my current pump and filter I have it set to run for 6 hours a day. The pool never gets any real heavy usage, just 3 or 4 of us swimming 2 or 3 times a week. If I were to get a two speed pump, would I run it on the lower setting all of the time (well 6 hours a day), and never really use the higher speed? I'll have to do some research on two speed pumps if I go with that option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.