Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help with cartridge filter recomendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help with cartridge filter recomendations

Next week I'm having my old pump replaced with a Intelliflo and I also will replace the old filter. Can you please suggest some good options on the type of cartridge filters I should buy to include correct size?

Thanks!
    12,ooo gal IGP, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair Clean & Clear RP Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Classic, 7-panel Helicol Solar & Pentair Solar Touch, Wet Edge Luna Quartz

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help with cartridge filter recomendations

Are you looking for replacement cartridges or a new filter?

For a 12k gallon pool, presumably in AZ {Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.}, I would suggest a minimum of a 175sqft cartridge filter ... take your pick of brands as they are all pretty similar. There is no problem going even bigger ... will just reduce the frequency of having to clean it.

Can I ask why you are getting such a large VS pump? Seems like you might be able to get one of the newer smaller VS pumps, like the Maxflow VS or Superflo VS. Or for that matter, just get a 2-speed pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for advice, updated my signature with location, I left AZ about six years ago. My electric company won't offer a rebate on the max or superflo for some reason, I think they just haven't updated their list. So, with the $200. rebate I chose the Intelliflo. My pool gets light usage and low amounts of debris, could I get by with a 120 square ft?

Is there any significant differences between the three Hayward models I found online:

Hayward SwimClear C150S Single Element Cartridge Filter, 150 Square Feet or the

Hayward C12002 Star-Clear 120-Square-Foot 2-Inch SKT Pipe Cartridge Pool Filter

Hayward Star-Clear Plus 120 sq. ft. (2'' FIP)

Thanks again,
    Jay
    12,ooo gal IGP, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair Clean & Clear RP Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Classic, 7-panel Helicol Solar & Pentair Solar Touch, Wet Edge Luna Quartz

4. Back To Top    #4

We have certainly seen the smaller VS pumps on many of the CA rebate lists ... odd that yours does not.

You can "get by" with any filter you want. Our recommendations try to make the pool more trouble free. You will just have to clean it more often and need to be careful you do not try to push too much water through it with your giant pump.

I do not know the differences between those (besides one being 150sqft). Have you check the Hayward site?

The location would be more obvious if you put it in the profile instead of your signature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I updated profile. I just noticed that Pentair also has a similar line of filters, how do they match-up to the Hayward models? I'm getting new Pentair solar touch controller and pump so wonder if it's best to get same brand filter?

Thank you,
    Jay

6. Back To Top    #6

Basically ... Ford vs. Chevy

No need to match equipment ... unless they will give you a longer warranty if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time. Pentair was doing that, but not sure if they still do.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I like the pentair filters, because they are a prettier color.

really though, like Jblizzle said, ford vs chevy. They both work equally well. And I do belive Pentair is still offering 3 year warranty if you buy 3 of their products at the same time. This might be especially valuable just because the intelliflo is so expensive.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Pentair still does offer the extended warranties for three pieces of equipment purchased together and installed by an authorized service company. A little more input to your initial question - the Intelliflo pump will need to be calibrated/programmed according to the the maximum flow rate of your filter allows. The Intelliflo pump, at full speed (3450 RPM's) is a 3 horsepower pump that I have personally seen destroy many filters. Just make sure that the installer has some knowledge of hydraulics and previous experience with programming these pumps.