Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gfci trips

1. Back To Top    #1

Gfci trips

I swapped out my old breaker, with gfci breaker, but when I go to turn on light it trips. My old breaker had just the hot sire going to it, but no white neutral wire. The new gfci had the hot & coiled wire which h I connected to the neutral bar, there is a screw on the gfci for a neutral wire but non on the old one. Here is the gfvi inztalled..Any ideas? Tank you.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gfci trips

You need to connect the neutral wire that feeds your light to the neutral screw on the breaker.

A GFCI works by comparing the current in the neutral wire going to the circuit and the hot wire going to the circuit, so they both have to feed through the breaker. The neutral pigtail is the input for the breaker and the screw is the output.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

With a 115 volt GFCI breaker you need to connect the neutral line coming from the light to the neutral connection on the breaker, and then the coiled wire on breaker goes to the neutral bus. This is different from a non-GFCI breaker, where the neutral from the light goes straight to the neutral bus.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So i have to fish a white wire from the light transformer to the subpanel, can i just join it to the other white wires in the transformer, then fish it over to the subpanel?
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

The white wire stops at the tranformer...12v
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    So i have to fish a white wire from the light transformer to the subpanel, can i just join it to the other white wires in the transformer, then fish it over to the subpanel?
    No, there is a white wire feeding your circuit in the breaker box already. That wire needs to connect to your GFCI breaker.

A standard 120V circuit has three wires from the breaker box to the equipment: Black hot, white neutral and bare ground. In your case the equipment is the transformer.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

There can not just be a single power line running from the breaker to the transformer. There must be a neutral to complete the circuit.

You make it sound like the transformer neutral might be tied into the neutral for some other circuit. If that is the case, not sure a GFCI breaker is going to work correctly ... unless you run a dedicated neutral wire.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

To put that another way, there must already be three wires, hot neutral and ground, running from the breaker panel to the transformer. You want to connect the breaker panel end of the existing neutral wire to the GFCI breaker, instead of directly to the neutral bus bar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I did it, what was confusing the black wire comes in then goes over to the relay load, then back over to subpanel, i found the white wire by looking in the conduit where the light comes over from transformer. Thanks everyone
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    I did it, what was confusing the black wire comes in then goes over to the relay load, then back over to subpanel, i found the white wire by looking in the conduit where the light comes over from transformer. All fixed.. thanks everyone...
    Nice to have 75,000 friends to ask for advice when you are working on the pool!
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes it is, and it is appreciated. ..
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG