First Test on Pool

bamajohn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hello,

I am taking over maintenance of our pool after several years of using a pool maintenance company. The pool has an automatic chlorine feeder which was used to provide chlorine via tablets.

I just received my TF-100 Test Kit and complete the first test. My results are below:

• FC: 1.5
  • CC: 0.0
  • PH: 7.2
  • CYA: Between 60 and 70
  • TA: 60
  • CH: 175
  • Water is very clear.

Based on my understand, it appears that the following issues are present:

• CYA is a bit high for a Non-SWG pool
  • Chlorine is low (the maintenance company said that they generally keep this level during the winter because of the water temperature)
  • PH is low

Am I correct in these assertions? If so, should I lower the CYA before I raise the Chlorine and PH? I obviously do not want to waste chemicals if I need to cycle some of the water out.

Are there any other suggestions for bringing my pool into balance? I have reviewed several posts on borates; however, I would like to balance my pool before incorporating any new additions.

Thank you,

John

Welcome to TFP!

While your CYA is indeed a little high, it probably isn't worth replacing water just yet. CYA around 60 to 70 is manageable, and will come down on it's own over time (unless you continue to use the tablet feeder).

If you water is quite cold, say below 50 degrees, then your pool service is correct that the FC level can be lower than normal. However if the water is above 50 degrees I would bring the FC level up to the recommended level for your CYA level.

On the PH, it depends on your primary source of chlorine. If you continue to use the tablet feeder, then both PH and TA are a little too low for use with a tablet feeder. I would raise the PH up to 7.8, wait an hour, retest TA, and then raise TA up to around 100-120 if it is below that.

If you are using bleach/liquid chlorine/SWG for chlorine: While your PH is below our recommended level, again it is in an acceptable range where there is no need to deal with it right away. If PH goes below 7.2 you should raise it. But chances are the PH will drift up on it's own.

Hi John,
welcome to TFP!

what JasonLion said!

Hello,

I am taking over maintenance of our pool after several years of using a pool maintenance company. The pool has an automatic chlorine feeder which was used to provide chlorine via tablets.

I just received my TF-100 Test Kit and complete the first test. My results are below:

• FC: 1.5
  • CC: 0.0
  • PH: 7.2
  • CYA: Between 60 and 70
  • TA: 60
  • CH: 175
  • Water is very clear.

Based on my understand, it appears that the following issues are present:

• CYA is a bit high for a Non-SWG pool
  • Chlorine is low (the maintenance company said that they generally keep this level during the winter because of the water temperature)
  • PH is low

Am I correct in these assertions? If so, should I lower the CYA before I raise the Chlorine and PH? I obviously do not want to waste chemicals if I need to cycle some of the water out.

Are there any other suggestions for bringing my pool into balance? I have reviewed several posts on borates; however, I would like to balance my pool before incorporating any new additions.

Thank you,

John

What he said ^^

I'd just use pool water on the lawn, a few inches at a time, until CYA drops down. No reason to rush. The water's too cold to get in right now, so the pH won't irritate anyone's skin or eyes, so leave it alone. But do get the FC up to where it needs to be for your CYA level.

It will probably be another month or two before your neighbors all start opening. You'll enjoy your crystal clear pool while they battle the green.

Welcome John! :wave:

Your on the right track for sure, and it sounds like you have a good grasp so far, but your FC is too low for that Cya level.

Lower levels of FC do make sense in winter, but that is a little risky. You want to start using a Chlorine source without Cya in it right now.

That means no Trichlor/Dichlor of which pucks and "shock" are usually comprised. Cya 60-70 is manageable, but don't let it climb. The best alternative is Bleach. Plain Bleach from Walmart etc. with no special properties like scented or easy pour.

You can replace some water to lower Cya for sure, but leave the pH alone. It will come up, although a little slower at your TA. Keep it simple right now, and focus on getting your Cya down a touch, and your FC in range with the proper ratio to that Cya level.

Thank you all for the prompt feedback. I was planning to move to a bleach/liquid chlorine solution so I will pick bleach to raise the FC and then continue to monitor CYA and PH levels.

How long should I wait to retest after adding the bleach? Thirty minutes to an hour?

Unfortunately it is still too cold to swim but temperatures are finally trending up :)!

Thank you,

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.