Pentair Dynamo with Sun Touch

Feb 11, 2013
Hi! This is my first time posting, but have been a long time lurker. I am planning to put in an above ground pool in this Spring/Summer. I found a great deal on a Sun Touch a while back, because some day I would like to add solar to the system. I am also planning to hard plumb and possibly have the pump and filter by the house instead of the pool. Anyway, can I use a 2-speed Dynamo pump with a Sun Touch. Would it be able to control the two different speeds. I am looking at one that is 1.5hp. What are your thoughts?

P.S. Already asked for the TF 100 test kit for my birthday!

The SunTouch will control a two speed Dynamo, or any other two speed pump, without any problems. You will need to install the optional two speed pump relay in the SunTouch.

A 1 HP Dynamo is probably more than enough. I can't think of any reason for getting the 1.5 HP version (unless you have additional water features you haven't mentioned).

Jason - Will the 1 HP still be a good option for a long run of pipes, say 50 ft? Would it work if the solar panels are on top of a pergola or flat roof? I also have an SD80 filter and am looking at either a 24 or 27 ft pool.

I usually always agree with Jason about not needing a larger pump. However, this time I'm going to say that I'd recommend the 1½ HP in your application. As some one that owns a Dynamo pump I can attest that the specs for those pumps are generous and since you're going to be using it for running a solar setup I think you'll be happier with the 2-speed 1½ HP model. Having said that, the 1 HP will work, but your flow will suffer if your solar setup is some distance from the pool and on top of a building.

Sorry to disagree Jason. :(

No problem :)

Going with the larger pump won't be much of an issue even if I am right about the smaller one being better.

Did you look at the plumbing curves? The curve for the 1 HP and 1 1/2 HP are the same, which is strange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.