New pool owner - with a curiosity...

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Hi -
First off, TFP has been a great resource for me since we made the decision to build a pool back in August last year. Thanks to all who've provided insight to me (even though I lurked anonymously from behind my computer ;)).
Anyway, as a new pool owner who's starting to enjoy the benefits of a pool while playing with my kids, I've noticed something that I figured I'd throw towards the forum...

Months ago, while the pool was being built, our construction supervisor said that the return closest to the pump would spurt air from time to time. I just shrugged.

Well, fast forward to the pool being completed and he was right. Being that this is a brand new construction with a very reputable pool builder in Central FL with all new equipment AND the fact that the supervisor said it would happen, I do not think I have a problem...I think I have a curiosity...
With the VS pump running less then 50%, that one return, closest to the pump spurts air bubbles.

Has anyone seen this? Does anyone have any idea why it happens?

When my pump is on low-speed and the SWG is making chlorine I always see small bubbles out of the nearest return. If the pump is on high-speed I do not see the bubbles, or if the SWG is not making chlorine then I will not see bubbles even on low-speed.

The higher flow through the plumbing breaks up the bubbles that are formed inside the SWG while it is making chlorine. The lower flow allows the bubbles to be seen in the nearest return.

Just as an FYI, when I noticed fewer bubbles than normal coming from the SWCG via the first return (but before a 'clean cell' notice came on) I went ahead and cleaned it and the higher volume of bubbles (and chlorine production) returned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.