Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best eyeball return for flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Best eyeball return for flow

A posting by ifyjetzzz, concerned about only having 2 returns reminded me of a question I had. I have a 16' x 40' pool with 3 returns. One return, in the deep end short wall is pointed down to promote mixing flow. The other 2 returns are on opposing ends of the two long walls, and I have them aimed to try and promote some counter-clockwise flow.

The pool was built in 1959 and the original 2 returns on the long walls were embedded copper pipes that came through the walls at a very low angle, so they really did a great job promoting rotation. When the pool was re-plastered, the copper pipes were removed and replaced with PVC that came through at 90 degrees to the wall. Surface rotation is now dismal with plenty of dead zones in the pool corners.

I've locked the eyeballs at about 45 degrees in the direction I want flow. That's the extreme of their position adjustment and when they're adjusted that way, the hole through the eyeball is half blocked by the body of the return, much like a ball valve hole gets restricted the further the valve is closed.

So, is there a style or brand of return that's better suited for extreme angles or do I have to do some plastic porting and polishing to improve flow?

Thanks.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best eyeball return for flow

I believe there are some fittings that turn the flow 90 degrees to is go right along the surface ... Are your the ones that stick out from the wall or embedded in the wall?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

They do stick out. The only part of them that's in the wall is the stub that engages the PVC return line. They're pressed into the PVC pipe - no threads.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might be a condidate to try a couple of slotted return fittings. Dont know how much if any improvement you might get though.

http://www.poolzoom.com/hayward-hydr...d-sp1419a.html
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

New to pools myself, but when I got mine two of the three eyeballs where missing the one left was the normal one you are describing that become partially covered when orientated in the direction you want them. I did some internet searching and came across the 'Infusion Venturi return'. These where a little bit more expensive, but allow better positioning without any loss of flow and when compared to the one standard one I had in any which position you put them in really do move the water about so may be worth considering. I'm not back to my pool until middle of April but can post some pics then if you can wait.
    12x30 12K gallon plaster/gunite pool- 2x deck streamers & 2x fan sprays, 6x4 1k gallon 4 jet spa. 1.5Hp pentair whisperflo pool/spa combi pump. Pentair clean & clear 100sqft cartridge filter, 400K Hayward NG Heater, Intermatic RC 2163FE Pool / Spa combi Analoguel Control. SGS 540 Breeze SWG. TF-100 with speedstir.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never had any problems aiming standard eyeball fittings at right around 80-85 degrees to the side. There is a fairly narrow range where they are aimed sharply to the side and still work without blocking the flow, but it is easy enough to find if you just fiddle with it a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    You might be a condidate to try a couple of slotted return fittings. Dont know how much if any improvement you might get though.

http://www.poolzoom.com/hayward-hydr...d-sp1419a.html
    They've definitely got the directional aspect figured out and it looks like the narrow slot can focus the power of the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I have never had any problems aiming standard eyeball fittings at right around 80-85 degrees to the side. There is a fairly narrow range where they are aimed sharply to the side and still work without blocking the flow, but it is easy enough to find if you just fiddle with it a little.
    Here's a photo. At closer inspection I realized that I'm getting only about 35 degrees off of perpendicular, not the 45 I thought. I hear what your saying that there is a perfect combination of angle and flow but I think I need that point to be at a much greater angle than I'm already at. The left side of the eyeball in the picture sure looks like a perfect turbulence generator.

IMG_1376.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gary.B View Post
    New to pools myself, but when I got mine two of the three eyeballs where missing the one left was the normal one you are describing that become partially covered when orientated in the direction you want them. I did some internet searching and came across the 'Infusion Venturi return'. These where a little bit more expensive, but allow better positioning without any loss of flow and when compared to the one standard one I had in any which position you put them in really do move the water about so may be worth considering. I'm not back to my pool until middle of April but can post some pics then if you can wait.
    Decent shape and direction. Don't need it for the warm water infusion they promote but may be able to take advantage of the direction and flow benefits.

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a slightly different style of fitting, more like this one:

and then really push it much further to the side than shown in the picture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I use these and they work really well. The only real downside is that they do protrude just a bit more than the standard ones.

http://www.sunplay.com/infusion-thre...nlet-v-fitting

Another option:

http://www.poolzoom.com/90-deg-retur...-diverter.html
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Lots of choices!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks all. Good suggestions!