Light fix/replacement options.

Yori96

Feb 11, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta
So now that I've got my pool running and good to swim in, I've got a problem that I can't seem to find a fix for on google.

I need to replace the housing that the light sits in(under water), the previous owners broke the brass screw hook so the light doesn't actually have anywhere to fasten too.

I also need to know where I can get the actual light for it as they haev put in a LED Swirl bulb which I don't feel is proper, which means I also need a gasket which I"m sure they didn't replace.

They had the light on when I moved in, although it was flickering, now I'm not sure if that's because of the bulb or because it's not in the water or because there's a short in the line but I suppose the best place to start would be getting everything re-assembled, or no?

Lets clear up some terminology first. There is the bulb, the fixture, and the niche. The bulb is a bulb, though they come in various shapes and sizes. The fixture is a housing that is (supposedly) water proof which contains the bulb and has a cable coming out that goes into the pool wall. The niche is an alcove in the pool wall that the fixture fits into.

Replacing the fixture is not too bad, a mid-range DIY project. Replacing the niche is a much more complex problem, beyond most home owners. Hopefully the part you say is broken is the fixture and not the niche.

Jason,

Thank you for clearing up my terrible terminology, so then I suppose it's the faceplate on the niche that I need to replace (I added the pictures I forgot).

On the picture with the zoomed out fixture, you can see the screw hold on the top, the screw hole that it's supposed to go in to on the niche isn't there, my assumption is someone used it as a footstool to step on to get out and snapped it due to age.

So what you're saying is this isn't really a DYI project.

Replacing the niche is very complicated.

It might be possible to glue a nut into place that would hold well enough to take a screw that will hold the faceplate in place. It will probably take a little creativity to get it to work without blocking anything, but certainly far simpler than trying to replace the niche. You will need to use a stainless steel nut, a little more work to hunt down, but most big box hardware stores would have something suitable. Gap filling epoxy putty should be able to hold it in place. As I said, a little creative problem solving and it should be possible to get something workable, though not as good as new.

I appreciate both of your feedbacks. :) I'm going to dive down with some goggles tonight and take a closer examination.

As far as the flickering, would that be because the light was not submerged/improper bulb or would that be wiring?

The fixture, would my local hardward store have a replacement rubber and bulb or is that something a little more specific that I'd have to continue to try and hunt down online? From a place like here

the flickering could be poor contact on the bulp to fixture contacts, maybe corrosion there. If it flickers I suspect this is the most likely case. Of course it could also be a loose wire on the switch but corrosion on the contacts is more likely

The bulb and rubber gaskets are specific. You likely will have to order them.

I found a location for the bulb and gasket, 70$ for the pair. -_- Will wait until I replace my liner though because the niche needs to be replaced (or at least the cover on the niche?) due to a leak, thank you for the assistance with this and the clarification on everything. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.