Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pad for pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pad for pump

OK, I pick up my new pump tomorrow but I have a question about bases. When the pool was installed about 13 years ago. They used a pre-cast concrete pad for all the equipment. When the 2.0 hp Hayward Northstar died I replaced it with a 2.0 hp Hayward Super Pump (not the right pump). I now will be replacing the dead Super Pump with a Hayward TriStar 2.0 hp. The Super Pump was smaller and needed me to raise the base now the TriStar will need a raised base as well but a bit smaller. Question, what is the best base material to use. I want to build a little form and pour a bit concrete the size of a shoebox lid but that might be over kill. Any ideas?
    18k gl IG pebble attached spa, Goldline aquarite T15, Hayward Superpump 2.0 hp, 500 sqft cartridge filter, Hayward H series 400,000btu heater. All new in 2002 except the pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pad for pump

Depending on thickness you need, you can find little plastic wedges to put around the pump. In fact one of my pumps may have some with them (but I don't remember)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Concrete is fine. I have rubber sound isolation material that I like to use but can be a pain in the butt to get.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have used the rubber garden tiles (18" x 18") cut in half to raise pumps 5/8". It also dampens vibration. They can be easily found at any big box store

5. Back To Top    #5

I used 2 pavers (large maybe 12" x 12" to get mine where it needed to be. IMHO I wouldn't pour a little bit of concrete. Just find something that fits and is the right height.

In the future you may want to change pumps and need the height.
    IG Vinyl 16-18k gal, Intelliclor IC40 SWCG, Ranger 24" Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Pump 1 1/2 HP, Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Also I have heard different answers but do you bolt down the pump or not? I was told by a pool place that they don't bolt them down but what about torque on start up?
    18k gl IG pebble attached spa, Goldline aquarite T15, Hayward Superpump 2.0 hp, 500 sqft cartridge filter, Hayward H series 400,000btu heater. All new in 2002 except the pump.