Re: Filter glass, ZeoSand, Sand or what?

Just joined this forum after googling answers about a Polaris 380 I just finished rebuilding. Did a quick search on "ZeoSand" out of curiosity, and this was the most recent thread. I honestly think the "mixed bag of results" is very likely a function of not following the startup directions well enough. Its absolutely CRITICAL to run several backwash/rinse cycles immediately after first putting the material into your flter. Failure to do so will result in a very fine silt that's ejected in to your pool when during startup, and according to negative reviewers, it appears that bacteria and algae seem to just love the stuff. I replaced the sand in my filter with ZeoSand 3 years ago and absolutely LOVE it! I've owned 5 different pools over the course of 25+ years, and had many different filtration systems - cartridge, DE, sand and now sand/ZeoSand for the last 3 years (after owning the same pool/filter with regular sand for 3 years before that. I absolutely concur with their advertising claims - I'm seeing the clarity I'd only managed with DE in the past, but with the ease of maintenance of a sand filter. At night, with the light on, I had always noticed a fine haze of suspended particles, although the pool looked quite clean during the day. After the first couple days with ZeoSand, my water was crystal clear at night with the light on, and its been wonderful ever since!

Welcome to TFP!

Extensive backwashing is required, but is not always sufficient. Sometimes no amount of backwashing will ever be enough.

By the by, it is completely possible to get that amazing DE clarity with a standard sand filter, though sand takes longer to get there. It has much more to do with water chemistry than it does with the kind of filter/media.

Dallasflier,

Hmmm. I would have to ask if zeosand has ANY drawbacks?

Are you connected with zeosand in anyway?

Can you post a night time pic of that crystal clear water?

Dallasflier,

Zeosand Zeobrite etc have issues with the top 2"-4" of media becoming a sludge like mess and clogging up the filter. This does seem to be more prevalent in commercial pools with high bather loads.

Dallasflier,

Sure, it has one major drawback - its cost! No, I have no connections at all with ZeoSand other than a satisfied customer. I'll see about getting a picture. I had the pool for 3 summers with normal sand, and never saw that clarity. Just about to head into my third summer now with ZeoSand in the filter, and very happy.
Zeosand Zeobrite etc have issues with the top 2"-4" of media becoming a sludge like mess and clogging up the filter. This does seem to be more prevalent in commercial pools with high bather loads.
I've never seen anything like that, but of course mine is not a commercial pool, and since we have no kids at home, its probably a relatively light bather load even for a residential pool.

Welcome to TFP!

Extensive backwashing is required, but is not always sufficient. Sometimes no amount of backwashing will ever be enough.

By the by, it is completely possible to get that amazing DE clarity with a standard sand filter, though sand takes longer to get there. It has much more to do with water chemistry than it does with the kind of filter/media.
Thanks for the welcome! I have to say, most everything I've ever read says you can't get the same clarity with sand that you can with DE. Since DE filters significantly smaller particles than sand, I just don't see how you could ever get there with sand. I had my sand filter for 3 years, never saw that clarity. As I said, during the day the pool looked fine, but at night with the light you could always see particles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.