Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How far can I put myy pump from my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How far can I put myy pump from my pool?

I have a 5000gal pool and a 1/3hp pump and sand filter. If I plumb with 2in PVC how far away can I place the pump without having an issue with head pressure becoming an issue?
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How far can I put myy pump from my pool?

A few houses down.
    Maybe a slight exaggeration, but straight 2" PVC adds very little head loss.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

50 feet is fine. 100 feet will have a noticeable impact, but isn't a problem. 150 feet is likely to cause minor issues. You can go further than that if you up size the pump, but it isn't usually worth it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

What matters most with plumbing and pump size is vertical lift and 45/90 degree bends in the plumbing. Straight pipe length within a few feet of vertical has very little impact to water flow rates.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I didn't think it would make much difference. I just wanted the pump and filter close to the garage so no extension cords.
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

6. Back To Top    #6

100' of 2" PVC has the equivalent head loss of a 1' vertical rise. And even that is at a 20gpm flow rate. Less flow and it's much smaller. That's it. By comparison, a 2" 90 deg elbow is the equivalent of a .1' vertical rise. Put it this way, 5 elbows is the same as 50' of straight pipe. Straight is good, lol...

*numbers from my handy dandy Pocket Reference book, which all handy DIY types should have.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100