Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to create a firm base in a soft area?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to create a firm base in a soft area?

I need to set up my pool in a new spot this summer. It will go where I used to plant my garden. What is a good way to make sure the ground is stable? Do I need to rent a jumping jack type of packer or something else?
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to create a firm base in a soft area?

There are so many variables with soil condition, it's almost impossible to know. It's very difficult to compact soil once it's been disturbed. 40,000lbs of water will do its own compacting. On the bright side, your pool is small enough that it won't be as traumatic if the ground settles some.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    There are so many variables with soil condition, it's almost impossible to know. It's very difficult to compact soil once it's been disturbed. 40,000lbs of water will do its own compacting. On the bright side, your pool is small enough that it won't be as traumatic if the ground settles some.
    Thanks. I'm thinking a good leveling and a good wet soaking and level again and it should be good.
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Plate compactor is the only way to go in this situation. I would still be hesitant about trying to compact that dirt. Undisturbed soil is what is recommended, just imagine how much pressure was put on that undisturbed soil over the ages, that is why they want you to do it that way. Use caution, even if you tamp the living "you know what" out of that soil, I wouldn't be surprised if over time you start getting some unevenness in the soil, which could cause you major headaches down the road. Take the time to do it right the first time and you will have a much more enjoyable time actually enjoying your pool. IMO I would get some paver base, put that down, tamp, water, more base, tamp water etc until you get it perfectly level and it is hard as concrete. Good luck. Post pics.
    Intex 18x48/2650 Sand/56601E SWG