Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Terrible pool design for circulating water - ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Terrible pool design for circulating water - ideas?

We bought the house late last year and didn't bother opening the pool before winter. I just noticed that there are only two return jets in our entire (14x29) pool and one of the return jets is underneath the water feature (waterfall) where most of the filtered water is returned to the pool.

This is an inground pool with concrete decking all the way around the pool so I'm not seeing any 'easy' way to add more pool jets.

I see this as a huge problem for water circulation. Anyone have any reasonable solutions to getting the water to circulate better? With this revelation, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to quickly get an automatic cleaner to help keep the stagnant areas of the pool clean.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Our pool is 15,000 gallons fresh water with a Hayward C5025 cartridge filter system; inground plaster. We bought the house Oct 2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Terrible pool design for circulating water - ideas?

A cleaner (robot) is very likely the most effective idea. It'll do it's job of cleaning well and provide the circulation benefit almost free.

The other idea is simply to wait and observe what your pool really does. Sometimes what looks ineffective will surprise you as not being so bad after all.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've already noticed that sediment collects at the shallow end of the pool, away from the skimmer.
    Our pool is 15,000 gallons fresh water with a Hayward C5025 cartridge filter system; inground plaster. We bought the house Oct 2014.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the wind typically blow to the shallow end? If so, the skimmer is in the wrong place A few jets will not overcome the prevailing winds.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

No, wind's not the issue.

The pool is north of the house with the skimmer on the east side of the pool. Wind is predominantly from the South/southwest blowing to the north/northeast so the house shelters most of the wind, with a bit of favoritism of the wind toward the skimmer.

I was very surprised to see so few (2) jets in a pool this size.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you talking about sediment sitting on the floor of the pool? That is going to happen regardless of the number of jets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 8x4M Pool with 2 return jets only on the long edge same side as the skimmer, Looking back I don't believe the PB gave the positioning more than a moments thought, however clever adjustment of the 'eyeball' seems to create 2 x vortex's and seems to do the job. I have a robot cleaner too which does the rest.
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you talking about sediment sitting on the floor of the pool? That is going to happen regardless of the number of jets.
    Sediment, small leaves, etc.

I'm looking at various robotic cleaners.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've taken care of a 16x32 for years and it only has one jet, so number of jets in your case is not an issue...

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine is similar in size, with two returns. To me, their job is to keep some surface rotation so the skimmer catches more stuff. Whatever sinks, the bottom cleaner takes care of.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

You may be able to change the size of the jet nozzle to increase the velocity.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

I guess I got spoiled with the pool in the house that I rented. It was only a little larger and had jets throughout the floor of the pool that really moved the water around so I didn't have to run the pump for a long time in order to turn all of the water in the pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

With only two jets, I would want a Robot. It may do better than you think, but two jets is a little skimpy.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Jets in the floor of the pool may have been an in floor cleaning system. That system is designed to move all the floor debris towards/into the main floor drains of your pool reducing/eliminating the need to run a cleaner or vacuum

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MHarvey86 View Post
    Jets in the floor of the pool may have been an in floor cleaning system. That system is designed to move all the floor debris towards/into the main floor drains of your pool reducing/eliminating the need to run a cleaner or vacuum
    Yes, it was a great system. It feels like I've gone from a BMW 7 series to a BMW 1 series. It's still a BMW, but doesn't have the bells and whistles.

One thing this pool has is an inpool vacuum port to hook up a pool cleaner without using the skimmer. However, the port is a little bit too small for me to put a regular sized pool cleaning hose in it. I may opt for a less expensive pool cleaner this year just to see how it does and once I've gotten used to the pool's habits, figure out which pool cleaner features I need most. I'm starting to think a cleaner that captures sediment will be important. I'm thinking that something inexpensive like a Zodiac (Baracuda) G3 would be fine for now and use some money for either a SWG or a pool heater.
    I had thought that I'd need to change my pool filters, but I gave them a thorough cleaning yesterday and they're working much better right now. The filters are a bit worn but I think I can get by with them for most of this next summer without replacing them.

I also figured out how to divert some of the water away from the waterfall to the 2 underwater jets so that more water is coming from the underwater jets; doing so seems to increase pool circulation.

16. Back To Top    #16

It sounds like you are getting a handle on how your pool works. That alone will make a big difference in the ease of care as you are finding out.

What about a picture of your pool? I would love to see it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    It sounds like you are getting a handle on how your pool works. That alone will make a big difference in the ease of care as you are finding out.

What about a picture of your pool? I would love to see it!

Kim
    Yes, I'm starting to get a feel for it.

I'll take some pictures when it's all cleaned up. Getting there, but I want it to look a bit better before taking pictures.

18. Back To Top    #18

But, but, but......we LOVE to watch pools clear up! Those are the fun ones to watch as their owners learn and use what is taught here at TFP!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
    I'm thinking that something inexpensive like a Zodiac (Baracuda) G3 would be fine for now and use some money for either a SWG or a pool heater.
    I have the G2, and it actually works quite well on my pool. But I have very tropical landscaping, so no leaves wind up in the pool.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100