Starting Over

Alynn

Jun 3, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Hello Again!

I've not been on here in a long time, and am trying to catch up!

I am a dedicated TFP'er and up until about a year ago, used the system for a perfectly sparkling, balanced pool. I had the pool and patio redone in 2011 with a Crystal Stone (Pebble) finish and patio pavers. We LOVE it!

Last April I had a motorcycle accident and spent the summer/fall with surgeries and recuperating, Then Christmas happend, and well, Life happened... In other words, I had a swamp... So Tuesday I drained the pool and spent yesterday giving it a chlorine bath to kill all of the live algae. It worked beautifully.... except I was left with light brown/yellowish stains all over. No amount of scrubbing would make any difference.

I beleive I read on here that organic stains would fade if I keep the chlorine at shock level for a week, can anyone confirm???? We do not have issues with metals.

Photo Below:
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj559/Lgrant62/image.jpg1_zpselbhhtjl.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj559/Lgrant62/image.jpg1_zpselbhhtjl.jpg

I have a TF-100 test kit and will test the fill water to see what I will need and have those items on hand, using the Pool Calculator.

I have a replacement salt cell, as mine had died.

Also: here is my plan for starting the balancing process from scratch -

1. Balance pH
2. Start adding CYA in socks over the returns.
3. Add Chlorine to shock level (per Pool School). What would be my Shock Level based on just starting to add CYA?? It is going to take a while to get my CYA up to 75-80 from -0-.
4. Add salt - recirculate 24 hours, then turn on salt generator.

Please advise on the stains and also the directions for introducing the chemicals into fresh water.

As Always, thank you for your invaluable help!!!!!

Alynn :party:

I beleive I read on here that organic stains would fade if I keep the chlorine at shock level for a week, can anyone confirm????
Probably. It will certainly minimize any organic staining and eventually it will disappear completely but it may take more than a week.

Since you will have no need to backwash that cart filter, you can add your CYA more quickly. Pump running, I would pour granular CYA directly into the skimmer in about 3 lb increments. Let that all get pulled into the filter and then do another 3 lbs or so in a couple of hours. Watch you filter psi for any sign the CYA is clogging your cartridge too much......a little rise (say up to even 25-30 psi) is ok but then wait 'til it comes back down before adding more.

Once your CYA is dosed up to about 60 ppm, you can assume that it is in there and use a chlorine SLAM value for 60 CYA, even though it may not register a full 60 on the test.

Welcome back!!!

I am not sure I have seen it stated that maintaining FC at shock level for a week will remove organic stains. I think I recall a recommendation of maintaining a slightly elevated FC and brushing and eventually the stains should fade ... but no timeline on that.

I would first confirm they are indeed organic by placing a trichlor tablet on them for a few minutes and see if it fades.

Really there was no need to drain and scrub, you could have just followed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. In fact, you likely should follow this process after you refill anyway to make sure everything in the plumbing is dead too.

How old is your kit? They have a sale on refills this month only.

Thanks Guys! I will proceed with the faster way of adding the CYA.

I know I could have gone through the slam process, but I wanted a clean, fresh start and had a few days off work to get it drained and scrubbed. I work long hours and wouldn't have time to properly slam during the day to get it cleared up. Once I am back sparkling, balanced water, I have no problem using TFP to keep it sparking and balanced.

The water has gotten to the shallow end, covering by about 3 inches. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday morning I will be set to fire the pump/filter back up and add the chemicals.

Edited to add: My kit was at least a year old, so I have ordered the refills to have fresb reagents for the season. With all the work of draining, scrubbing, refilling and rebalancing I wanted to make sure my testing was accurate. I do not want to go backwards!
Thanks again for all the help!

Alynn

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.