Last weekend, I patched some leaks in the pool and added about 2 feet of water. Tossed in 1 little bag of granular "shock" (either di- or tri- chlor) and floated 1/2 of a 3" hockey puck and just let that sit for a couple of days to see if pool still leaked. It did not. So, I finished filling the pool. On Tuesday after work I got most of the leaves and crud off the bottom. I added salt (six 40 lb bags), CYA (oh, some random amount leftover from an old container and about 1/3 or so of a new bottle) and 1 gallon of 10% bleach. Sunk a submersible pump and let that spin the water in circles overnight to dissolve the salt and CYA.
Wednesday morning, lots of pollen was on the surface and the crud on the bottom had become noticeably visible, so I turned off the submersible pump and ran the pump/filter/SWG/skimmer for 6 hours. The SWG didn't complain abut salt levels being too low or too high, so if it's happy, I'm happy.
This morning, Thursday, I found lots of leaves and pollen on the surface and there's still a fair bit of crud on the bottom as I have yet to vacuum scrub it. The crud is probably sunken pollen. I tested to see how close my off-the-cuff-didn't-measure-diddly-squat additions came to meeting goals.
Hmm, not too bad. Today, I'll run the pump/filter/SWG for 6 hours and I rigged the submersible pump to aerate the water in order to bring pH up and then start the process to lower TA and eventually get ready to add borates. Put some more CYA in, trying not to overshoot the mark of 75.
This year, I will try a solar blanket. They come in 21' or 24' sizes and my pool is 22', so I ordered the 21' clear one. I'm hoping it'll be a good heater, b/c the water is 68 degrees now.