Replaster recommendation - San Francisco Bay Area

ours was done by Adams Pool Solutions in 2011 - we had a leak around the skimmer area and they replaced our (probably original) skimmer and voided our main drain as well as replaster. They did a decent job but we had a few logistical snags that I think were at least partly due to our pool being an old one with old plumbing (probably circa 1960's or '70s) - they have different crews for the different phases of the job (e.g. demo, plumbing, plastering) which probably works fine for the bulk of their projects. With ours, though, we could have used a bit more communication between the different crews and/or more "big picture" oversight

I'm going with Allen Pools. They do fiberglass refinishing instead of plaster. 15 year warranty, most plaster companies are 3, maybe 5 years. They have been doing the fiberglass refinishing since 1986 and the cost isn't much more than plaster quotes I got. Also you get the same chemical benefits as a fiberglass shell pool. Set to start in may.

I'm going with Allen Pools. They do fiberglass refinishing instead of plaster. 15 year warranty, most plaster companies are 3, maybe 5 years. They have been doing the fiberglass refinishing since 1986 and the cost isn't much more than plaster quotes I got. Also you get the same chemical benefits as a fiberglass shell pool. Set to start in may.

We are having our fiberglass overlay removed as I type this. The overlay gelcoat completely failed last swim season with the kids complaining of being itchy. I wasn't impressed with the 2 local fiberglass companies in the Easty Bay. To be honest, it looks boring, but I did like having some leeway for not doing chemicals for a few days. The bids were a little less than plaster.

Hey Dave, sorry I had my notifications turned off. Looks like you're off to a good start. You are going to love the Pebble Sheen.
I did not have a lot of interaction with Aqua Gunite as they were a sub to my general, but I did meet the owner and he was a great guy. No problems at all with the gunite or pebble installs.

We are having our fiberglass overlay removed as I type this. The overlay gelcoat completely failed last swim season with the kids complaining of being itchy. I wasn't impressed with the 2 local fiberglass companies in the Easty Bay. To be honest, it looks boring, but I did like having some leeway for not doing chemicals for a few days. The bids were a little less than plaster.

Yeah but how old was it? My pool was last refinished in the 80's so the fiberglass is somewhere between 25 and 35 years old. Cosmetically the gel coat does not look good because of its age but no itchiness that you speak of. Structurally it is good and I have not had to add water ever and I moved in in Jan. (no leaks). I do wish there were color options. For chemicals I have added 4 gallons of chlorine and that's it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah but how old was it? My pool was last refinished in the 80's so the fiberglass is somewhere between 25 and 35 years old. Cosmetically the gel coat does not look good because of its age but no itchiness that you speak of. Structurally it is good and I have not had to add water ever and I moved in in Jan. (no leaks). I do wish there were color options. For chemicals I have added 4 gallons of chlorine and that's it.

Sometime in the 90s. Once the fiberglass strands get into the water then you'll start getting complaints of being itchy. I did like low chemical maintenance, but it's old and outdated/boring. As for color options, I'm not sure. Just found out that I'm going to have to replace the skimmer box from a leak that disintegrated the gunite into sand and totally corroded the rebar into nothing. So there's not structural support around the skimmer box now. UUGGHHH!! Just got more expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.