Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaster recommendation - San Francisco Bay Area

1. Back To Top    #1

Replaster recommendation - San Francisco Bay Area

Hi,
    I think my pool needs a replaster and am currently looking for company recommendations.
    I'm in Sunnyvale, CA.
    Thanks.
    21,000 gal oval pool; Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump; Purex SM-2060 DE filter; Polaris 280 cleaner; Purex Tropic Isle C360 heater;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replaster recommendation - San Francisco Bay Area

Aqua Gunite out of Livermore recently did my pool.
    You can also try California's gunite. I've used them on other projects.
    16'x32' 15,000 gal, 7'x7' Raised Spa, Coverstar Autocover, Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Midnight Blue, Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU NG Heater, Pentair 420 Sf Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS+, Dolphin Z5, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dcrides View Post
    Aqua Gunite out of Livermore recently did my pool.
    You can also try California's gunite. I've used them on other projects.
    Thanks. What type of work did Agua do for you and how much did it cost if I may ask.
    21,000 gal oval pool; Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump; Purex SM-2060 DE filter; Polaris 280 cleaner; Purex Tropic Isle C360 heater;

4. Back To Top    #4

New pool, so they installed the gunite and the Stonescapes Mini Pebble. I don't have those costs broken out separately, as it was lumped in with the cost of the whole project. ( they were a subcontractor to my pool builder)
    16'x32' 15,000 gal, 7'x7' Raised Spa, Coverstar Autocover, Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Midnight Blue, Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU NG Heater, Pentair 420 Sf Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS+, Dolphin Z5, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

ours was done by Adams Pool Solutions in 2011 - we had a leak around the skimmer area and they replaced our (probably original) skimmer and voided our main drain as well as replaster. They did a decent job but we had a few logistical snags that I think were at least partly due to our pool being an old one with old plumbing (probably circa 1960's or '70s) - they have different crews for the different phases of the job (e.g. demo, plumbing, plastering) which probably works fine for the bulk of their projects. With ours, though, we could have used a bit more communication between the different crews and/or more "big picture" oversight
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

6. Back To Top    #6

DCRides.... I'm in Martinez and am looking at Aqua Gunite for a redo. Any recommendations on working with them from start to finish?

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm going with Allen Pools. They do fiberglass refinishing instead of plaster. 15 year warranty, most plaster companies are 3, maybe 5 years. They have been doing the fiberglass refinishing since 1986 and the cost isn't much more than plaster quotes I got. Also you get the same chemical benefits as a fiberglass shell pool. Set to start in may.
    Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nickmpower View Post
    I'm going with Allen Pools. They do fiberglass refinishing instead of plaster. 15 year warranty, most plaster companies are 3, maybe 5 years. They have been doing the fiberglass refinishing since 1986 and the cost isn't much more than plaster quotes I got. Also you get the same chemical benefits as a fiberglass shell pool. Set to start in may.
    We are having our fiberglass overlay removed as I type this. The overlay gelcoat completely failed last swim season with the kids complaining of being itchy. I wasn't impressed with the 2 local fiberglass companies in the Easty Bay. To be honest, it looks boring, but I did like having some leeway for not doing chemicals for a few days. The bids were a little less than plaster.
    approx. 18k gal, IG gunite w/ fiberglass overlay, Polaris 280, Centurion 1hp/1.65 sf pump, AO Smith 3/4 hp/ 1.50 sf booster pump, Mytilus FMY-150 cartridge filter. Pool remodel has started and will be upgrading to Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, LED multicolor or white light, and Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Pool automation and solar heat automation to come later.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey Dave, sorry I had my notifications turned off. Looks like you're off to a good start. You are going to love the Pebble Sheen.
    I did not have a lot of interaction with Aqua Gunite as they were a sub to my general, but I did meet the owner and he was a great guy. No problems at all with the gunite or pebble installs.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave95b View Post
    We are having our fiberglass overlay removed as I type this. The overlay gelcoat completely failed last swim season with the kids complaining of being itchy. I wasn't impressed with the 2 local fiberglass companies in the Easty Bay. To be honest, it looks boring, but I did like having some leeway for not doing chemicals for a few days. The bids were a little less than plaster.
    Yeah but how old was it? My pool was last refinished in the 80's so the fiberglass is somewhere between 25 and 35 years old. Cosmetically the gel coat does not look good because of its age but no itchiness that you speak of. Structurally it is good and I have not had to add water ever and I moved in in Jan. (no leaks). I do wish there were color options. For chemicals I have added 4 gallons of chlorine and that's it.
    Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Nickmpower View Post
    Yeah but how old was it? My pool was last refinished in the 80's so the fiberglass is somewhere between 25 and 35 years old. Cosmetically the gel coat does not look good because of its age but no itchiness that you speak of. Structurally it is good and I have not had to add water ever and I moved in in Jan. (no leaks). I do wish there were color options. For chemicals I have added 4 gallons of chlorine and that's it.
    Sometime in the 90s. Once the fiberglass strands get into the water then you'll start getting complaints of being itchy. I did like low chemical maintenance, but it's old and outdated/boring. As for color options, I'm not sure. Just found out that I'm going to have to replace the skimmer box from a leak that disintegrated the gunite into sand and totally corroded the rebar into nothing. So there's not structural support around the skimmer box now. UUGGHHH!! Just got more expensive.
    approx. 18k gal, IG gunite w/ fiberglass overlay, Polaris 280, Centurion 1hp/1.65 sf pump, AO Smith 3/4 hp/ 1.50 sf booster pump, Mytilus FMY-150 cartridge filter. Pool remodel has started and will be upgrading to Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, LED multicolor or white light, and Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Pool automation and solar heat automation to come later.