Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Signed contract, then found out PB is selling his business

1. Back To Top    #1

Signed contract, then found out PB is selling his business

Hello all,
    Three weeks ago I was happy that I had finally chosen a pool builder and signed a contract. My pool builder was, and still is, eager to break ground. However, he called me last night to inform me that he is selling his pool business to another pool builder and he is going to work for him as the VP of marketing and sales. I am not sure what to think or do. I am completely bummed out about having to deal with this issue.

It took me literally 6 months to choose a pool builder after getting 4 bids. I asked every pool builder a ton of questions and finally decided on this one and now he is selling his company......

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The thought of having to start all over with 4 new bids does not thrill me. The thought of trying to get out of this contract does not thrill me. But, the thought of moving forward with a pool building company that I know nothing about does not thrill me either.

Again, I am interested in hearing your thoughts and/or advice.

Thanks....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Signed contract, then found out PB is selling his business

That is a downer, but I'd say not to worry yet...don't borrow trouble. I would be in the same mood as you I'm sure. It sounds though like your chosen guy may still be involved.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

He likely will not be involved to the degree I had originally negotiated for. I chose this guy based on his reputation as a pool builder. He is the owner of the company and he would have been heavily involved in my pool build because his company consists of him, an assistant foreman, and an administrative assistant. THE reason I chose this company is because of his oversight and involvement with the pool build. Now, this new company he is selling his business to is much larger than 3 people and they perform some of the work in-house rather than subcontracting it out. I have a feeling if he is going to be the VP of Marketing and Sales for this new company, he will not at all be involved in my pool build.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have two thoughts.
    1. Have you posed the question to him to get his feedback on your concerns? Ask him to sell you on staying on as a customer with this new transition. Maybe his answers will help push your decision one way or the other.
    2. Interview the new guys and have the "re-bid" your build and answer the same questions that you originally asked. Maybe the process will inform your decisoin to move forward or not.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I would definatly use him selling the company as leverage, if you decide to re-bid with the new owner. I'm assuming the old contract you signed is now null and void.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build