Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to replace filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to replace filter?

There are no markings left on my DE filter, and the previous owner was unaware of the brand only that it was DE. I took a picture to the pool store and they said it was a Purex 2000.

He also said that I cannot get parts for the valve which is leaking at the bottom. He suggested to upgrade to a new filter (Obviously $$$).

I have not taken this apart yet.

Is this filter obsolete?

Are parts even available?

Should I bite the bullet and just upgrade?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to replace filter?

Where is it leaking? A quick Google search found a set of o-rings for the Purex 2000 backwash valve for $5.35 ... I think your pool guy was "mistaken" about there not being parts.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is leaking from the body of the valve, and where the waste port is. I think it is/was threaded at one time but it is glued in with something (JBweld/epoxy?) and there are no unions anywhere.

When would a pool filter in general be considered a write off ? Because I see many people buying new filters on the forums.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, some parts approach the cost of a new filter. A backwash valve (assuming it is available), likely is still a good bit cheaper than a full filter ... and often is a separate purchase from the filter anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, some parts approach the cost of a new filter. A backwash valve (assuming it is available), likely is still a good bit cheaper than a full filter ... and often is a separate purchase from the filter anyway.

From what I can see so far it looks like it would be under $100 worth of parts to replace all orings, and I also need a new holding wheel. Hopefully the o-rings/tapered seal stop the leak.

As I have stated in another post I am changing the motor from a 1.5 hp to a variable speed Ecotech 1.5 for lower noise and lower electrical bills.

Before I spend ~$100 to hopefully stop the leak would installing a new Pentair Quad DE 100 lower the flow restriction enough to make a difference?

Would it allow me to run the pump at a lower rpm for the same flow?

My goal is quiet/energy savings, and if there would be a decent enough decrease in restriction by getting rid of the Purex 2000 then I would do it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can anyone who has upgraded to a Pentair Quad DE in any size tell me if they noticed less flow restriction?

7. Back To Top    #7

Flow restriction is primarily a function of the number of square feet of filter area. The Purex 2000 came in various sizes, as does the Quad DE. As long as you get a Quad DE in a larger size than your current filter it will have less flow restriction.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Flow restriction is primarily a function of the number of square feet of filter area. The Purex 2000 came in various sizes, as does the Quad DE. As long as you get a Quad DE in a larger size than your current filter it will have less flow restriction.
    I believe I have the 60 sq ft version of the Purex 2000.

I would be purchasing the Quad DE 100.

In your opinion do you think I would see a decent improvement?

9. Back To Top    #9

How big is your pool? That determines what your filter size should be.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

27 k gallon inground. 18 x 36 . No spa.

Planning on renovating in 2-4 years and adding water features and spa.

I will update my signature once I get home. Thank you for the link.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is a pretty big pool. The Quad DE 80 is likely plenty big, but nothing really wrong with going with the 100.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

That is a pretty big pool. The Quad DE 80 is likely plenty big, but nothing really wrong with going with the 100.
    So you think that should give me a decent flow improvement over the Purex 2000?

I'm just trying to see if it might allow me to lower the rpm of the pump significantly further for the same flow.

13. Back To Top    #13

Why do you need flow improvement?
    We generally recommending filtering at low pump speeds where the flow is low.
    On high speed, you should be some increased flow, but I am not sure it will be hugely noticeable ... the filter is only one source of head loss.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Most likely, and longer time times between backwash.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

Why do you need flow improvement?
    We generally recommending filtering at low pump speeds where the flow is low.
    On high speed, you should be some increased flow, but I am not sure it will be hugely noticeable ... the filter is only one source of head loss.

For flow improvement i just mean for ex. if I have to run the pump at 2200rpm for enough flow to the skimmer with my current Purex, and the quad one allows me to run at say 1500 rpm for the same flow.

RPM numbers are just made up for the example.

16. Back To Top    #16

In most pools the skimmers will still work correctly at 1000 RPM, which is also the highest energy efficiency speed, so no point in running slower than that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    In most pools the skimmers will still work correctly at 1000 RPM, which is also the highest energy efficiency speed, so no point in running slower than that.
    Yes, 1100 rpm is my sweet spot for skimming. It is also enough flow to make IC40 swcg happy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach