Gas heater

Mik

Feb 23, 2015
Sydney - Australia
My 7,500k gallon pool currently has solar heating which was damaged (leaking) when we bought the house.

I am considering replacing with a gas heater. A gas heater seems ideal for us. Our pool is small so loses temperature quickly but it would be nice to be able to hit a button and a few hours later have nice warm water.

We have a gas water heater not too far from the pool equipment which seems to have a 3/4 natural gas line going to it. Would this be sufficient to run a heater if the installer tees into it? I don't want to have to run a new pipe from the meter which is on the other side of the house.

Only a very small heater ... maybe ... not sure they make them that small.

Pool heaters generally use much more BTUs that your entire house. They use a tremendous amount of gas.
Likely the water heater is a 40-50k BTU heater ... pool heaters are 250-400k BTUs.
I have a 3/4" pipe running to my entire house (water heater, furnace, dryer, cook top) and a 1.25" pipe running to my pool heater.

Gas pipe sizing is dependent on total length from meter or pressure regulator, number and types of fittings used along that path, and total worst case btu load... I'm guessing 3/4" is going to be too small though...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.