Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas heater

My 7,500k gallon pool currently has solar heating which was damaged (leaking) when we bought the house.

I am considering replacing with a gas heater. A gas heater seems ideal for us. Our pool is small so loses temperature quickly but it would be nice to be able to hit a button and a few hours later have nice warm water.

We have a gas water heater not too far from the pool equipment which seems to have a 3/4 natural gas line going to it. Would this be sufficient to run a heater if the installer tees into it? I don't want to have to run a new pipe from the meter which is on the other side of the house.
    7,500 IG pool in Sydney, Australia
    - Fully tiled in black mosaics
    - Waterco S600 25" sand filter and Onga StaRite silent flow 1Hp single speed pump
    - Zodiac TriMid SWG
    - Zodiac MX-8 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas heater

Only a very small heater ... maybe ... not sure they make them that small.

Pool heaters generally use much more BTUs that your entire house. They use a tremendous amount of gas.
    Likely the water heater is a 40-50k BTU heater ... pool heaters are 250-400k BTUs.
    I have a 3/4" pipe running to my entire house (water heater, furnace, dryer, cook top) and a 1.25" pipe running to my pool heater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Gas pipe sizing is dependent on total length from meter or pressure regulator, number and types of fittings used along that path, and total worst case btu load... I'm guessing 3/4" is going to be too small though...

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a good point, I do not know if the pressures used are the same in OZ as they are in AZ

Likely need to talk to an installer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!