Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool leak

I have a slow pool leak and have tuned off my pump and over night it dropped 1/8th inch below skimmer opening, I've tried dye testing near return jets and saw no dye being sucked in, can't test light cause pool is to cold, any other options other then calling pool boy, heard that it costs 500
    Central valley, California. Inground pool built 1971, plaster, sand filter, hayward ecostar variable pump, 1.5" lines, roughly 25k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool leak

I would see if the water keeps dropping quickly. If not, the leak would not be in the return jets which are still well under the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've done dye tests near everything but the pool light and am stumped, I have concrete decking and non has any different elevation or cracks so I'm confused on where I'm losing it at, also no visible cracks are present in plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

How can I pressure test the return lines? I can plug the returns but to insert pressure I would have to cut the PVC after the backwash valve right ??

5. Back To Top    #5

Nothing you have stated points to the return lines. Is the water still dropping rapidly?

If it stopped just below the skimmer, that would point to a problem around the skimmer or in the suction line leaving the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have yet to make it home, if it dropped more today since I don't have an equipped line then I can rule out skimmer, so then it would only be returns, light , or drain, then how would I proceed

7. Back To Top    #7

Get in with some dye or hire someone to come out and look for it. Or wait until it stops dropping to narrow down the location.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

So I have someone coming out tonight, my question is it dropped another 1/4 last night in both the skimmer and pool when both where already below skimmer throat, so since the drain is plumed into akimmer can it be acting like an equalizer?

9. Back To Top    #9

Could be. It dropped a lot faster than that previously correct?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Probably about the same, I can see a hole between skimmer and wall and now water is below it so I will see what it is later today when I have a pool friend out at my house, also on the plastic skimmer area near the throat it sounds hallow so I think it may be culprit