Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could epsom salts cause the pump to seize

1. Back To Top    #1
    Grand Rapids, MI

Could epsom salts cause the pump to seize

Is there any way using Epsom salts in a hot tub would cause the pump to seize? My tech seemed to think it was a no-no...after he replaced my 15-yr-old hot tub pump that seized very shortly after I'd added Epsom salt. So I've avoided it, but it could have been coincidental....
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could epsom salts cause the pump to seize

Pure coincidence in my opinion. That pump was getting ready to go no matter with the Epsom Salt.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

No, that doesn't make any sense. There are ways that epsom salt could aggravate some other pre-existing problem. For example, if you already had a shaft seal leak spraying water onto the bearings, epsom salt would have made that situation worse. But in that situation it would have failed in not too long regardless.

Epsom salt, like regular salt, increases the corrosiveness of the water just a little bit. However, all of the components normally in contact with the water should be able to handle that no problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Placentia, ca.

Just curios but how much did you put in? Just considering I need #300 of solar salt when ever I refill my pool I don't know what a little Epsom would do in the Jacuz but what do I know.
    18k gl IG pebble attached spa, Goldline aquarite T15, Hayward Superpump 2.0 hp, 500 sqft cartridge filter, Hayward H series 400,000btu heater. All new in 2002 except the pump.