Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG And Intex Ultra

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG And Intex Ultra

I have a 18' Intex Ultra with a sand filter. I was considering getting the SWG generator but I read on here about the saltwater rusting the frame faster than normal. Does any one else that has a SWG and an Ultra have that same problem? Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG And Intex Ultra

We had an ultra for two years with swg, no issues, worked great. Took it down and sold it and all was good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I am starting 2nd season with Intex Ultra and SWG. No corrosion or other salt-related issues.
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had one and each pool I set up rusted. One pool rusted to the point that I could bend the uprights by hand in less than 8 months. It could have been poor quality pools, chemistry not right, or a combination. I cannot say it was definitely the SWG but I gave it away when I got the new pool. Now, I use straight chlorine and after a year, I do not see any rust on the Sharkline. Many people have good experiences and there are several posts on the forum about it.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

My Intex 24X52 is almost 4 years old. While checking it for problems after the winter I discovered 10 of the 24 horizontal support bars are severely rusted and replacements are no longer available.

When I called Intex the only solution they offered was to sell me a new frame for what I paid for the whole pool.

I need to find out what the difference is from the 2011 and below frames are from the 2012 and above.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have an Intex Ultra Frame with SWG that's been up for almost a year. Around the top frame I can see the beginning of some very slight rust. I wipe off the metal with some clear water every now and again
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,